Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

New to the forum and Michigan

Hello, I'm Chuck, a 77 year resident of Illinois, I just bought a house on the Grand River to be near my son and his family and am in the process of moving. I retired in 1999 from Illinois Bell Telephone co., I've been a life long shooter and hunter. I'm a moderator on the Kimber Talk forum, a Life Patron member of the NRA, GOA and the Illinois State Rifle Association. I've had a CCL in Ill. since they were allowed and now have to figure out what I need to know to comply with Michigan laws. Are there any registration laws I immediately need to be aware of, I have handguns, rifles and shotguns?

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Welcome to Michigan and MGO.

Long guns are not registered here.

Handguns may need to be registered - eventually. Kind of depends on a bunch of facts - when you establish MI residency, whether you keep your IL CCL, whether you get a MI CPL (concealed pistol license), which you won't be able to apply for until you have been a MI resident for 6 months, etc.

I'm sure others will chime in and overwhelm you with details on registering handguns. No rush IMO.

Enjoy.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

Greetings from Imlay City "Gateway to the Thumb",

Home of Vlasic Pickle.

MCL 28-425b (7b)
    If the applicant holds a valid concealed pistol license issued by another state at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established, the county clerk shall waive the 6-month residency requirement and the applicant may apply for a concealed pistol license at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established. For the purposes of this section, an individual is considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:
    I would suggest that you keep your CCL as long as it remains valid, take the Michigan class as soon as you can.

It is actually the sale trans action that gets registered. There is direction to cover a returning military person in the law. There is nothing in law to direct a person moving into the State

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Welcome to MI, and to the MGO forums Chuck43!
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Greetings from the West side !
    Welcome to MI . . . . . . due to our recent Commandant / Governor Whitmer, hang on to your chair the ride is getting MORE bumpy !

I am a Forum User
    Welcome to the MGO forums! We do have a little more freedom here than IL

Hey Chuck, bought any Kimbers lately ?
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

MGO Board of Directors

Welcome Chuck.
    Glad you found us.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    Hey Chuck, bought any Kimbers lately ?
    I've got my eye on 2 but this moving process is taking all my time and money.