Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar

Suppressor Height Sights Without a Suppressor?

I have never tried suppressor height sights on any gun. Aside from their usefulness when there is a can installed that would obscure the view of standard height sights, what pros or cons are there to having suppressor height sights without a suppressor or RMR sight? Better? Worse? Less accurate or more accurate? Faster or slower to acquire? Is the main downside that many holsters won't accommodate tall sights? What problems are there? Thanks.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

I've found that shooting normal sights with a silencer to works fine, your eyes and brain will put it together. Think of it like the Sig365 with sas sighting system. Its not for bullseye shooting, yet fine for a thoracic area.

I have two HK USPs with suppressor sights. No issues, holster or otherwise.

Also, as Omni says, though for me that only works with both eyes open.

Perhaps I did not ask my question clearly. Forget the suppressor. Assume I never install a suppressor. Does anyone just like them as sights? How are they?glock_23_tall sights.jpg
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by esq_stu View Post
    Perhaps I did not ask my question clearly. Forget the suppressor. Assume I never install a suppressor. Does anyone just like them as sights? How are they?glock_23_tall sights.jpg
    Personally, no. Aesthetics of the taller sights aside, which I don't particularly like the look of, I just don't find any benefit to them over traditional iron sights. There seems to be more availability for fiber optics and tritium/night sights with regular sights than with suppressor sights as well which often times seem to just be black on black.
    MGO Member
    Ragnarok Arms, LLC in Saline, MI- Type 1 FFL
    www.ragnarokarms.com

I am a Forum User
    It's weird because you naturally don't expect the higher sight to be there. All your eye has ever known is a non-supressor height sights profile. Functionally, they work exactly the same. Similar as very low rings vs. high rings on a rifle scope.

They also tend to snag a little more coming in and out of holsters, on shirts, pockets, etc. You can knock the edges down or a smith can if it matters to you.

Functionally they work just as you'd expect. Just look a little weird.

I thought maybe it would work better than standard height sights with this setup. A holster would not be an issue unless the adapter and brace are removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member

MGO Member
    I’ve had holster issues with some.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by esq_stu View Post
    :image:
    You had me at hello.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    You can use them to rack the slide on your belt or clothing in a gunfight or similar situation. Say one of your hands is disabled.

Otherwise, unless you're using a can, or a stupid optic that requires batteries and chasing the dot, they really offer no advantage.