Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Chicago residents wait months for permission to defend themselves

While crime,including murders, soar, Second Amendment rights stall in Chicago.

Chicago residents wait months for permission to defend themselves

Despite an alarming increase in crime, Illinois Is illegally delaying gun licenses

Scott Olson/Getty Images

By Jacob Sullum
    Chicago sun-Times

Aug 11, 2020

If you live in Chicago, you might be thinking about buying a gun to protect yourself, your family, your home or your business against rioters, looters and assorted violent criminals.

But before you can exercise your Second Amendment rights in Illinois, you need permission from the state police, a process that can take months.

Contrary to a state law that requires approval or denial of an application for a firearm owner’s identification card within 30 days, Illinois residents often wait two or three times as long. Such delays are plainly unconstitutional, according to a federal lawsuit filed last month by the Goldwater Institute on behalf of four Chicago area residents and two gun rights groups.

The violent unrest that Chicago saw this past week is the latest manifestation of a pattern that emerged in late May, when rioters and looters marred protests against police brutality provoked by George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis. Meanwhile, homicides in Chicago are up 55% as of Aug. 2 compared with the same period last year.

All this alarming criminal activity has been accompanied by a surge in applications for FOID cards, which Illinois residents need to legally possess any sort of firearm. On June 2 alone, CBS Chicago reports, the Illinois State Police received nearly 5,000 applications — “more than the previous eight days combined.”

At the time, the State Police said it was taking an average of 51 days to process FOID applications. Since that is an average, it means many people were waiting even longer.

MGO Member
    The early bird gets the worm. The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago; the second best is today. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Folks in IL know, or should know, what they are up against. This is surely conduct contrary to law, but still it suggests the need for foresight. Maybe this will be a teachable moment for folks. And the first step toward clearer thinking (and wiser voting) in IL? We can hope!

I am a Forum User
    It all started 52 years ago when Illinois decided residents had to have a F.O.I.D. card ($10.00 10 years) before they could buy a gun or ammo. 7 years ago they passed the law allowing concealed permits to be issued. The state charges $150.00 for a 5 year license, these fees would easily cover the cost of timely processing of the needed background checks and paperwork which are involved. However... the state continually takes these funds from the state police and puts them in the general fund. The state police are not allowed any more people to work on the permits and the state won't update the computer equipment they work with. Any calls to check on permits or people needing questions asked go unanswered, I know of one guy that called 3 or 4 times a day for 10 weeks without ever getting through. The renewal of my CCL took 5 months, fortunately because of COVIC19 they allowed expired licenses to be considered valid if you applied for renewal before your expiration date. Now they are talking about cutting the FOID card from 10 to 5 years and raising the price of the CCL. Is it any wonder why I recently bought a house in Michigan and will be this hell hole next month?