Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

SB 1059 of 2020
    Weapons: firearms; receipt of registration when registering a firearm; require. Amends secs. 2 & 2a of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422 & 28.422a).
    Last Action: 11/4/2020 Analysis File Added

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...SFA-1059-G.pdf
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

SB 1059 of 2020
    Weapons: firearms; receipt of registration when registering a firearm; require. Amends secs. 2 & 2a of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422 & 28.422a).
    Last Action: 12/2/2020 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE WITH SUBSTITUTE (S-1)
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Another solution looking for a problem?

Politicians trying to look like they are doing SOMETHING?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post

Oh, they know the "problem" they are trying to address. The "problem" is the Second Amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Oh, they know the "problem" they are trying to address. The "problem" is the Second Amendment.
    I hate it when legislators try to justify their existence by fixing problems that don't exist! I hope this piece of crap gets shot down somewhere in the legislative process.
    Lighten up Francis.

MGO Member
    In theory, other than coming up with the budget each year, there ought not be much need to make new laws in the first place. Don't kill. Don't rob. Don't commit rape, arson, or bestiality. Don't speed in a school zone. Already got those covered. Seriously, if we haven't thought of needing a law to address a thing yet and the world is still turning, maybe that's telling us something.

I am a Forum User
    “No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the congress is in session.”
    ~ Mark Twain

MGO Member
    But, but we don't have registration in Michigan.......
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

MGO Board of Directors

SB 1059 of 2020
    Last Action: 12/8/2020 Analysis File Added

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...SFA-1059-F.pdf

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    But, but we don't have registration in Michigan.......
    This is the main question that led me here...

I've read (tried to read) the law... the MI Legislature's site is old and not fun to navigate...

That said, there seems to be an exemption from "registration" if you have a license to carry a concealed pistol...

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Legislature - 28.422
    Sec. 2.
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in this act, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Legislature - 28.422a
    (1) The following individuals are not required to obtain a license under section 2 to purchase, carry, possess, use, or transport a pistol:
    (a) An individual licensed under section 5b, except for an individual who has an emergency license issued under section 5a(4) or a receipt serving as a concealed pistol license under section 5b(9) or 5l(3).
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Legislature - 28.425b
    Sec. 5b.
    (1) To obtain a license to carry a concealed pistol, an individual shall apply to the county clerk in the county in which the individual resides. The applicant shall file the application with the county clerk in the county in which the applicant resides during the county clerk's normal business hours... blah...blah... blah...
    I take this to mean that, if I were to move to the state of Michigan, so long as I applied for and was issued a license to carry a concealed pistol, I would not have to register my pistol upon moving into the state.

Furthermore, it seems that this will be the case so long as I maintain an active license to carry.

Additional reading seems to indicate that, as a Michigan resident with a license to carry, I would not need to "register" any pistol purchased from an FFL...

How much do I have wrong so far?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast