Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

SB 1059 of 2020 - Require licensing authority to issue a receipt for registration of pistol(s)

SB 1059 of 2020
    Weapons: firearms; receipt of registration when registering a firearm; require.
    Last Action: 8/15/2020 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I really don't understand the point of this. Our responsibility still ends at getting the MSP copy back to the issuing agency (or mailing it).

It may be that this single person sponsored bill is just a "hey look, I support the 2A" attempt" only there for campaigning purposes. Except he is not up for election for another 2 years.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    I really don't understand the point of this. Our responsibility still ends at getting the MSP copy back to the issuing agency (or mailing it).

It may be that this single person sponsored bill is just a "hey look, I support the 2A" attempt" only there for campaigning purposes. Except he is not up for election for another 2 years.
    It would seem that the intent is to close a loop and make the purchaser responsible for assuring the registration paperwork was actually received by the agency.

This is a solution to a problem that doesn't need fixing.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    I would not view this as a pro 2A bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelk View Post
    I would not view this as a pro 2A bill.
    The burden is on the Agency not us, so it is not anti. It is a bill under "firearms", no one is going to look further if he claims to be "PRO".

He is a POLITICIAN, he is lying.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

SB 1059 of 2020
    Weapons: firearms; receipt of registration when registering a firearm; require. Amends secs. 2 & 2a of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422 & 28.422a).
    Last Action: 9/9/2020 REASSIGNED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY AND PUBLIC SAFETY

I am a Forum User
    More paperwork that we aren't required to keep that we must keep so we can prove we followed the law.
    More guilty until proven innocent.

Besides, it makes another job for the MSP and a way to justify the cost of permits & forms.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    It would seem that the intent is to close a loop and make the purchaser responsible for assuring the registration paperwork was actually received by the agency.
    How does that work if you mail in the Licensing Agency copy? Is the state going to guarantee USPS delivery happened when they return your receipt? Are they going to do away with mailing in the LA copy?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    How does that work if you mail in the Licensing Agency copy? Is the state going to guarantee USPS delivery happened when they return your receipt? Are they going to do away with mailing in the LA copy?
    In a **perfect** world, I'd imagine they'd like to get back to the old system and force you to bring the piece in for the "safety inspection" during regular cop shop business hours. More inconvenience, more registration, more disincentive for people to (lawfully) buy firearms.

My PD used to mail back copies of the RI60 marked as filed. They stopped some years ago. I have no way of knowing whether they got what I mailed them or what they did with it, but I'm perfectly OK with that. The whole RI60/registration system ought to be scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsten View Post
    In a **perfect** world, I'd imagine they'd like to get back to the old system and force you to bring the piece in for the "safety inspection" during regular cop shop business hours. More inconvenience, more registration, more disincentive for people to (lawfully) buy firearms.

My PD used to mail back copies of the RI60 marked as filed. They stopped some years ago. I have no way of knowing whether they got what I mailed them or what they did with it, but I'm perfectly OK with that. The whole RI60/registration system ought to be scrapped.
    Those would be what ever hours that would be convenient for them, like Mon, Thur, Fri between the hours of 1~4.
    And Detroit was famous for keeping it for two days. When returned, it would be dirty from having been fired.

With all of the "exceptions" that they have in the law, the the whole system is now just a symbol of control, and a working "tool" for LE tracing.
    Anyone with an out of State carry license Resident or not, most LEO/Corrections officers and a bunch of other organizations as listed in MCL 28-432

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast