Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Concord
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    But, but we don't have registration in Michigan.......
    This is the main question that led me here...

I've read (tried to read) the law... the MI Legislature's site is old and not fun to navigate...

That said, there seems to be an exemption from "registration" if you have a license to carry a concealed pistol...

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Legislature - 28.422
    Sec. 2.
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in this act, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Legislature - 28.422a
    (1) The following individuals are not required to obtain a license under section 2 to purchase, carry, possess, use, or transport a pistol:
    (a) An individual licensed under section 5b, except for an individual who has an emergency license issued under section 5a(4) or a receipt serving as a concealed pistol license under section 5b(9) or 5l(3).

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Legislature - 28.425b
    Sec. 5b.
    (1) To obtain a license to carry a concealed pistol, an individual shall apply to the county clerk in the county in which the individual resides. The applicant shall file the application with the county clerk in the county in which the applicant resides during the county clerk's normal business hours... blah...blah... blah...

I take this to mean that, if I were to move to the state of Michigan, so long as I applied for and was issued a license to carry a concealed pistol, I would not have to register my pistol upon moving into the state.

Furthermore, it seems that this will be the case so long as I maintain an active license to carry.

Additional reading seems to indicate that, as a Michigan resident with a license to carry, I would not need to "register" any pistol purchased from an FFL...

How much do I have wrong so far?
    28.422 is referencing obtaining a License to Purchase (LTP).
    28.422a says section 2 (28.422) is not applicable if you have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). However, there is near identical language in 28.422a regarding filing a RI-060 vs a RI-010. That said, you are correct regarding moving into the state with pistols you already own. There is no acquisition transaction occurring, so based on a strict reading of the law, there is no requirement to "register" your pistols when you move into the state.

Take a look at 28.432(f)
    If you have a license to carry concealed from any other state, you do not have to register your pistols, even if you are a Michigan resident. Read more about it here: Don't Want to Register Your Pistols In Michigan? - Then don't! Here's how to do it legally...

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    28.422a says section 2 (28.422) is not applicable if you have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). However, there is near identical language in 28.422a regarding filing a RI-060 vs a RI-010. That said, you are correct regarding moving into the state with pistols you already own. There is no acquisition transaction occurring, so based on a strict reading of the law, there is no requirement to "register" your pistols when you move into the state.

Take a look at [link removed as I don't yet have 10 posts] 28.432(f)…
    If you have a license to carry concealed from any other state, you do not have to register your pistols, even if you are a Michigan resident. Read more about it here:
    Thank you for the reply PhotoTom.

I did find the thread you referenced a while after I posted above, and skimmed the AG's opinion linked from that one (or another forum to which it links).

I should be covered in that regard (registration) w/ my Indiana Lifetime license to carry, and would just need to get a MI license to actually carry.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    Thanks for the reply, PhotoTom.

I tried to reply yesterday, but that apparently got sent off to moderator-land because I didn't realize being unable to post links included those in quotes...

I did find that thread an hour or two after my initial post, including the MI AG's opinion PDF.

It sounds like, with my Lifetime IN LTCH, I'd be good to go as far as skipping the "registration" for good, and would just need to get a MI license to carry upon establishing residency.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123