Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

300 BLK pistol suppressed, experience and comments?

I don't have an AR platform, and have been thinking about a pistol, but I can't stand the noise from them when standing even a few rows down in the same range as someone shooting one. Dang things are loud even when I'm wearing plugs and earmuffs, and I can't imagine having to shoot one without ear protection. So I have been curious about how loud a 300 BLK pistol would be with subsonic ammo and a suppressor.

Does anyone here shoot one of these, or have experience hearing one alone without other guns firing at the same time? How bad is it? If you had to shoot without ear protection is it going to blow your eardrums out? Could you do a range session outdoors without plugs or earmuffs?

Or is it more of a gimmick and not really worth it, considering the considerable extra cost of a can?

I am a Forum User
    .300BLK subs and a can is very quiet, no ear pro needed.

Peacemakers in Howell had an AR (maybe AR pistol? can't recall) chambered in 300 BLK with suppressor available for rent. I rented it once with a buddy a year or two ago and we shot some subs through it. We had ear protection on, but it was definitely quiet. If you're not too far from it, it may be worth checking out to get an idea if it's something you'd want to do.

Subs from a suppressed Blackout are not much more a pellet rifle, more like a 22 short from a rifle. Definitely something you could shoot without ears although I’d still recommend wearing them
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged1 View Post
    I don't have an AR platform, and have been thinking about a pistol, but I can't stand the noise from them when standing even a few rows down in the same range as someone shooting one. Dang things are loud even when I'm wearing plugs and earmuffs, and I can't imagine having to shoot one without ear protection. So I have been curious about how loud a 300 BLK pistol would be with subsonic ammo and a suppressor.

Does anyone here shoot one of these, or have experience hearing one alone without other guns firing at the same time? How bad is it? If you had to shoot without ear protection is it going to blow your eardrums out? Could you do a range session outdoors without plugs or earmuffs?

Or is it more of a gimmick and not really worth it, considering the considerable extra cost of a can?
    Yes, I shoot 300 blk pistols both with a can and without a can. (shoot them a LOT)

They are probably quiet enough to shoot without ear protection (subs and a can) but I still wear ear protection as the AR opens the bolt with pressure still in the chamber so some firing pressure/noise backs out of the ejection port (my 300 blk pistols are louder at the ejection port than at the muzzle when using a can)

If I turn the gas off (adjustable gas block) then it is as quiet as a bolt gun with a can so no ear protection is needed.

I have also come up with some quieter loads than factory loads that use 180 grain bullets so can use less powder and use faster burning pistol powder so those are also no-ear-protection quiet. (again an adjustable gas block needed for this)

No matter, the 300 blk is a very quite shooter with a can so even with 220gr factory subs they are quiet enough to shoot without ear protection for few shots if needed.

Unless you want to shoot "only subs suppressed" then I suggest that you buy a 300 blk gun with an adjustable gas block (or add one after yo buy or build the gun).

Also, my 12" barrel 300 blk pistol is quieter suppressed than my either 7" and 8" barrel suppressed guns are.

The BIG problem with using a 300 blk for home protection, or personal protection, is getting bullet expansion at subsonic bullet speeds. There are are few choices but unlike pistol calibers not that many good ones.

Added: I should add that even shooting the short barrel 300 blk guns without a suppressor and with full power super loads some of the excess noise can be mitigated a bit by using a diverter on the front of the barrel (looks like a very short suppressor with no baffles inside and no front cap) that directs a lot of the gas and noise down range away from the shooter.
    Last edited by slingshot77; 08-18-2020 at 08:29 AM.

MGO Member
    Thanks all- good info.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    ...snip...
    The BIG problem with using a 300 blk for home protection, or personal protection, is getting bullet expansion at subsonic bullet speeds. There are are few choices but unlike pistol calibers not that many good ones.
    Good post - thanks.
    Your one comment does beg the question, if only shooting 300BLK with subsonic ammo in the 220grain weight range, why not just get a 45acp and put a suppressor on that?
    Normally, 45acp ammunition will be more available and less expensive. The 45 hollow points are designed to expand at lower velocities.

To me, the only advantage of 300blk at that point is ballistic coefficient of the bullet, and depending on the 45, not having a simple blow back design.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by j-squared View Post
    Good post - thanks.
    Your one comment does beg the question, if only shooting 300BLK with subsonic ammo in the 220grain weight range, why not just get a 45acp and put a suppressor on that?
    Normally, 45acp ammunition will be more available and less expensive. The 45 hollow points are designed to expand at lower velocities.

To me, the only advantage of 300blk at that point is ballistic coefficient of the bullet, and depending on the 45, not having a simple blow back design.
    The BIG gain in shooting the 300 blk is that it ALLOWS shooting suppressed subs for low noise, low recoil, stealth type shooting BUT still allows moving up to supersonic adequate power hunting rounds/defense rounds out to 200 yards or so.

You can still suppress the super rounds but they are definitely louder, plus you have the supersonic crack to deal with.

The problem with going .45 is that most .45 suppressors are not designed to handle supersonic round pressures and using a .30 caliber can that can handle the 300 blk in supersonic doesn't allow shooting .45 rounds.

Nothing wrong with a .45 sub gun but I wouldn't say it was a Steller hunting caliber. On the other hand the 300 blk suppressed makes a great urban coyote gun out to 100 yards.

If a person shoots a lot of .30 caliber guns then the 300 blk makes a lot of sense. On the other hand if a person has and shoots a lot of .45 then having a .45 suppressed sub gun might make as much sense for them.

300 BLK will give you 30 round mags, longer range, huge variety of bullet and speed choices (go from subs to great super hunting rounds).
    45 gives you cheaper ammo, what I believe is better stabilization at shorter distances (not 100% sure, but makes sense), and odds are you’ll have more than one firearm in 45, so better ability to cross level, also, you’re not going to accidentally load 45 into a 5.56 like you see idjits do with 300 every now and then.
    I have both and both have cans. I shoot the LWRC SMG-45 far more due to cost. Also, 45 is subsonic by nature, so any box of 45 I find or handload will be quiet out of a can. Aside from those boutique light +P+ rounds you find every once in awhile.
    Both platforms are super quiet and I shoot them without hearing pro when I’m outside.

. 22lr and 9mm is also quiet with a 4" barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast