Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need welding ?

Need welding ?

Greetings

Not familiar with my area as yet and online searches are not being helpful.
    Have a lower for an FAL that got a case of rust pitting under the wood pistol grip.
    Its not terrible but needs to be corrected before the restoration can get a park refinish.

So anyone know of a person who has done or is capable of doing this ? ? ?
    Can send a pix of the pitting to be corrected ?

I'm in the KALAMAZOO area

Thanks to all

I am a Forum User
    Send me a couple pics, I have a few friends that are welders and can pass it on to them to see what they say.

Be careful what the filler material is as if it has more nickle in it the welded areas will end up a lighter color when parkerized.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Be careful what the filler material is as if it has more nickle in it the welded areas will end up a lighter color when parkerized.
    “Under the wood pistol grip” would seem to me to be an area that would be hidden in the future, but good caution regardless-OP may not want visual imperfections despite their location.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Yep . . . . fill material is a thought. If its under the pistol grip a bit of discoloration is acceptable, its the current RUST that is not.
    I usually add SS tape between the wood and metal during final assembly ( cut to fit ) that doesn't show.
    Like many who do this, If restoring anything or one of these Aussie L1A1 . . . . it will be correct and beautiful . . . . . and shoot ! !

I am a Forum User
    I did receive your pictures, and my friends I shared it with said they wouldn't want to touch it. They also said without knowing exactly what steel is being used, it would be impossible to guarantee the finished product.

Hey thanks for the effort . . . . I'll continue the search

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd FocalPlane View Post
    Hey thanks for the effort . . . . I'll continue the search
    Have you looked into those artisans who specialize in firearm welding? Such as those who repair de-milled receivers and such? They are out there, but a very specific subset of gunsmith that specialize in rebuilding certain firearms. Once such smith may be able to correctly weld this piece.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Any chance the rest of us might see what it looks like?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

Well I sent it out to DSA who know the metal. Ends up it was not that deep to affect integrity of area.
    So carefully ground the rust off and then sent it to another place to get media blasted and parked in H&K color.
    The wood has "i've been abused", all over it, but I did want a working guys version. So fresh park, old somewhat
    cleaned up wood, and bingo. Assembled with no surprises, but did have a fly away steel ball for the sight detent
    play "lost in space" for a while . . . . took an hour to find it ! Got the sticks to aligned at 95 ft lbs with a .258 locking
    shoulder. Yes, a breeching washer was in there also.
    Was not in a rush and finished it about a month ago. Range trip for first shots went excellent, gas adjusted to 5 and
    with some front post movement got it on paper. Very smooth operation, trigger is "military" but its an excellent shooter !
    Not being a pile of parts anymore, it requires room in the safe. Question is . . . where !Aus~full LT small.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast