Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

a review on Frangible bullet accuracy in 223 loadings.

Not long ago, I started a thread in the reloading section here, asking if anyone knew about the difference in accuracy, if any exists, between a FMJ bullet and a frangible bullet. I learned information is scarce..as I spent several hours searching on the net, trying to find some information on the subject.
    Until recently, I had no- to -little interest in frangible bullets, but I've been shooting more 223 rds lately, & noticed my supply of 55gr. FMJ's was rapidly disappearing. Started looking for some, & learned my sources for bulk bullet purchases had dried up...none available @ reasonable price.
    I did find a source for some reasonably priced 50gr. frangible bullets, so decided to order 1K & give them a try.
    My logic would be that a 50 gr bullet would require less powder to reach a set velocity than a 55 gr. bullet. After researching online, I
    learned that for a 50 gr. frangible bullet, load data for a 62 gr. conventional bullet should be used. Reason for this is the much longer bearing surface of the frangible bullet. The 50 gr. Frangible bullets I ordered were considerably longer than a regular 55gr FMJ pill. The longer bearing surface of the
    Frangible bullet results in more friction against the barrel, necessitating a lighter powder charge, to keep down pressure.
    I'm not a math whiz or physics major, so I accepted what I read as fact,,and started with a lower than usual powder charge.
    My results, so far, have been consistent with what was posted in my thread. My loads with the Frangible bullets are almost as accurate as my FMJ loads..I try shooting tight groups & so far, the groups I've shot with the Frangible bullets are a little larger than those shot with FMJ's.

I decided to post this as some who handload may find, as I did, that finding the usual loading components in the future may not be as easy as
    it has been in the past. I was going to get into actual measurements of bullet length, group sizes, etc..but I'm tired of typing already &
    have doubts that this subject will be of interest to many others.

I am a Forum User
    I, for one, find this interesting.
    Thank you for taking the time to share.

Joe

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the response..
    makes me feel better knowing that one person found my information interesting..

a FYI.. I measured a 55gr FMJ bullet =.7590"

the 50gr.frangible bullet =1.0070" (considerably longer!)

I recognize that all Frangible bullets are not the same..the pills I bought are covered/wrapped in a copper jacket, with a brownish tip, brown tip measuring about .188" from top of point.
    As reported earlier,i don't know the manufacturer, but wish I'd purchased a few thousand more.
    Got an ad from the seller, & they have no more in stock (sold out)
    Last edited by joepistol; 08-20-2020 at 04:19 PM.

Greenies for you sir! Please continue.

I am a Forum User
    Took my Combat Armory AR to the range today,along with a few other rifles, as my younger son had taken a vacation day.
    He has been working 10-12 hr. days, 6-7 days/wk for past few months.. talked him into going to the range for a few hrs.
    I was interested in how his shooting would compare to mine, in that I have sighted my scopes in for me..
    not sure how well they work for others He was able to shoot as well as I did, not saying much about my shooting, since he doesn't shoot that often.
    Well, I did shoot a little better..but he was able to hit the B.E. & all around it, so guess rifles are sighted in fairly well.
    Looking over the targets, we were both able to put 3 shots in a bullseye in under a 1" group fairly consistently. (I was more consistent than he was.)
    this was shooting off a bench @ 50 yds.. the Bullseye measures around 3/4" in dia. My best groups were about .350" center to center , his about .480" center to center
    This is a little larger than the best group I shot with this same rifle & my 55gr. FMJ pills..which was closer to .30" center to center from the 2 most distance bullet holes.
    Still, that's pretty close..enough that it may be my skill limiting the accuracy, rather than bullet type. Learned that I got my best accuracy with the same powder charge, for both bullets.

MGO Member
    Greenie +1. Thx for sharing.

I am a Forum User
    I am guessing that I bought the same bullets as you. I didn't buy 1k, but they came with the premium mix that I purchased. I chose to buy the mix because I wanted to try a bunch of different bullets, and I'm glad I did. The frangible bullets weren't expected, and I wouldn't have given them a try by myself.

I am interested in buying more when they become available because I can shoot them at my steel targets at closer ranges.

Mind throwing out a reloading recipe to give us a ballpark to start at? If not, no big deal, the info you already provided is probably enough to get close.

I am a Forum User
    I have been using a lot of WC 846 for what I call my plinking loads..which end up being my benchrest loads..LOL
    Anyone trying my load recipe is doing so @ their own risk..my load works well in my rifles.
    I settled on 24.5 gr of WC 846 for most my loadings.. sometimes I load 25.5 gr , both while using 55gr. FMJ's for bullets.
    My experimenting with the 50gr. frangible bullets has found that I use the same 24.5gr load, for rds that group tightly, to my point of aim @ 50yds.
    For those unfamiliar, or unaware..WC-846 powder is very close to BLC2 .. & it is recommended that that powder should be used for load data.
    Further reading will find there is some lot variability in WC-846 & some experimentation is necessary when using a new lot # of powder.
    Some say use BBLC2 data @ -10%... others say +10% ..using a start point of 22-25 gr... depending on lot you have & who you want to believe.
    I think I started with 22 or 23 gr.for my lot#, as a start point..YMMV

I have also bought the "premium mix" from the same seller, but I bought the 30 cal. mix.
    Won't do that again. I found many of the bullets are heavy weight ( 200 gr & higher)..bullet weights I wouldn't normally buy or shoot.
    There was a WIDE variety of brands of bullets. I spent a LOT of time sorting the different bullets..ended up with probably 20 different weights & shapes of bullets.
    Most got fed to my AR-10..still have the heavier weight ones, will eventually shoot them in bolt action rifles.
    Last edited by joepistol; 08-22-2020 at 07:30 AM.