Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Closed Forum User

What barrel length, choke and ammo do you use for your shotgun for self-defense

What size Barrel, type of Choke, kind of Buckshot are you using? What kind of patterns are you getting out 1 to 10 to 50 yards
    Last edited by Outdoorman; 08-20-2020 at 11:44 PM.

MGO Member
    mossberg 835 with a rare securuty 18 barrel shooting 3.5 00 buck will kill the virus or any other threat

I am a Forum User
    Have a Weatherby 459 pump in 20ga.
    18 inch barrel
    Came with a Cylinder non restriction choke.
    Replaced it with a Modified (.600) Carson choke.
    For home defense use Rio 2 ¾ --00 buck - having 9 pellets
    At 20 yards shot 3 shells with the Cylinder choke at a IDPA target, out of 27 pellets only 7 pellets struck the target, none that would do any serious damage
    Shooting 3 shells using the Modified choke all 27 pellets struck the target leaving no doubt the threat would be stopped.

FYI

I am a Forum User
    With slugs and buckshot I would worry about Over penetration, (i.e.) any projectile that miss’s the intended target goes thru your walls and finds a unintended target, could be a loved one or maybe a neighbor, I would keep it around #4 shot to bb sized. Even thru a I.C. At 30yards its going to cover about a dinner plate sized spread. Check out a guy on youtube named Paul Harrell he does some informative Wall Penetration videos. And Mossy used to make a “Home Defender” model I always thought would just about be perfect.

MGO Board of Directors

Lost all mine in a tragic boating accident, but if had one it would be a Mossberg 500, 20" bbl, with folding pistol grip stock, single point sling and shell holders.
    I think that any buckshot will do, but for home defence #9 buck (not bird) is quite good.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Rifled barrel, no choke, as short as possible, low recoil slugs.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Saiga 12 with a 19in barrel, modified choke, and Fiocchi 3in T-shot

M1 super 90 18.5in improved cylinder, with federal flight control 00 or 4 buck.

MGO Member
    No matter what HD shotgun you use, you owe it to yourself to pattern some Federal buckshot, with the FLITECONTROL Wad, if you can find it.

Patterns are really about half the size, of anything else, in my 2 HD shotguns.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Remington 870 12ga 18" cylinder #4 buck not patterned
    Mossberg 590A1 12ga 20" cylinder #4 buck; at 25 feet this puts #4 and 00 well within a 6" bullseye (more or less one ragged hole) but not measured
    Mossberg 590 Shockwave 12ga 14" cylinder - Aguila Buckshot (7 #4B/4 #1B) Minishells not patterned
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast