Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: 400FUW

400FUW

Been slowly working on this for a while for a post deer hunting project. Lathe went down last fall and had to rebuild the gearbox including making almost half of the gears which took a months to track down all of the required bearings and make the gears. Collaborated with another guy on a different site to finalize the particulars on the reamer since I was unable to make one at the time and he was interested in the concept as well. Got the 1st barrel finshed when the rona shut down the ranges and made supplies harder to find. .40" caliber with a 1.8" straight wall case so it's legal for the Limited Zone. Uses a standard cheap .40/10mm barrel blank like you'd use for a 40S&W or 10mm and .400" diameter bullets and cut down/expanded 30-06 or 308 type cases. You can also just resize expensive 45 raptor brass if you want to throw money at it. I prefer using 30-06 length cases so there is no wrinkle in the neck areas from the old shoulder from a 308 length case, but it's an option. Should be able to just hit 2600fps with a 20" barrel. Tests so far with the 16.5" barrel are on track. This first barrel is for an AR15 using the 800 series rounded lugged bolt and extension meant for 22-250. I am limiting the max pressure to 55Kpsi in this upper even thought that is below 22-250 SAAMI specs. I have a 20"-22" AR10/LR308 pattern barrel in the works for me as well as a 22" bolt action barrel for my buddy which will get run at higher pressures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

After waiting a month for a silencerco 11/16-24 muzzle brake I just made one out of a 4140 barrel drop and parkerized it when doing the barrel. The bolt began locking back (with the suppressor on) with a .063" gas port. It feeds out of 450BM mags with the feed lips adjusted to .445"-.450" apart which I already had for use with the 44x1.8". For bullets I've been using 200gr XTP's, Barnes 195gr MZ and Hornady 200gr SST, the last two being muzzle loader bullets meant for the same velocity range. Have also been working on getting a similar .40 bullet made as the Makers 175gr T-Rex. Went with .400" bore as opposed to .410" as there was a better selection of off the shelf bullets that were near 200gr and meant for 2200-2600fps.

I am a Forum User
    As always, impressive work.
    Thank you for sharing.

Joe

Another interesting project,
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Thanks Guys.

Forgot to put a pic of the water test of a 195gr Barnes MZ. Velocity was 2391 fps according to the Magnetospeed for the 16" barrel and about 47,506 psi. 5 of the 6 petals broke off. Sort of why I'd like a 3 petal design like the T-rex which is a tougher bullet and when the petals do break off they have more weight to them. The solid copper bullets are long for their weight which takes up case capacity and limits velocity a bit over a short and stout 200gr XTP which can be driven faster.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 08-30-2020 at 08:11 PM.