Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Kel Tec Sub 2000 reviews/advice

Hi guys:

Thinking about a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 with the Glock 9 mm magazine rifle/pistol to be added to my collection.

I have a bunch of Glock Magazines, along with a Glock 17L and was thinking this would be a nice long arm to go with it.

any experiences? Reviews? Accuracy for plinking? Reliability?

Thank you

Crankster

I am a Forum User
    I'd recommend getting a CAA Micro Roni or Flux Brace instead.

The charging handle is difficult, the recoil impulse feels like you're getting slapped in your face from the tube, trigger is meh, and the overall ergo is crappy including sights that are far too high for a decent cheek weld. Adding an optic kills the foldable option, unless it's a pivot mount but it will stick out when folded.

They're cool idea for sure, and I was interested in one too but after running one hard at the range the cons outweighed the pros.

I am a Forum User
    Sold one or two last year. Never a fan of them. The overall quality, fit and finish was horrible. Then again, it is a Keltec. I would not buy one myself, but YMMV.

I agree with SRT. It’s a neat idea, but it’s not the best in operation. The charging handle is awkward to get to, not the most ergonomic, and it feels cheap in general. I own 4 other KelTec models, and the Sub2000 feels the cheapest out of all of them.

BUT.....they do take glock mags, they do fold into a tiny package, and they do go bang. I never had a problem with malfunctions or part breakages. It’s just an aesthetic and perceived quality thing. I don’t own one anymore, as I’ve lost interest in most PCC calibers other than 10mm, but if KelTec ever comes out with one in a 10mm variant (they’ve been talking about it for years) I’d jump on one just for the fun factor. I don’t know of any other PCC that collapses into such a small package, especially with a 16” barrel.

Another option to think about in the same price range is a MechTech with the wire stock. It’s heavy, and you need a donor Glock frame, but it’s another option in the same ballpark.

I've got one in .40 that takes Beretta 96 magazines ("multi-mag" option). Has shot flawlessly so far. There area a lot of shortcomings, but a bunch of M-Carbo parts fix most of them (at a cost at least equal to gun itself). Even with a rear-sight upgrade, it's a bit uncomfortable to get good cheek weld. I plan to add a red dot and folding M-Carbo scope mount, which allows the gun to still fold with red dot attached. I often use mine with a suppressor. It fits the bill for me as as something that I can fold and carry in a sling bag, while sharing magazines with my carry gun.

A neat option, but after necessary upgrades probably looking at about $1K total to get it sorted (how I want it). If just using for a "truck gun" or for range fun, then probably fine in stock configuration. At that cost (gun + upgrades) there may be better options, depending on needs (AR pistol, etc.). I don't want to talk anyone out of getting one, as I enjoy mine.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    I like my sub 2000. I don't love it - that is not why I have it. I don't consider it a super fun gun. I don't love shooting it. But I find that it works reliably and I have not problem hitting what I aim at at 25 yards.

I keep it in a small backpack with several 33 round and 17 round mags that will work in my G17 and G19.

It is not near the top of my list of guns that I want to sell any time soon.

OTOH I have a micro-roni and I do not find it as accurate or as reliable as the KelTec. I am constantly working on it to make it reliable. Maybe someday . . . but it won't replace the KelTec.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

One other thing I just remembered. You will not be able to adequately use the sights on the SUB2000 if you are wearing ear muffs for hearing protection (at least I wasn't able to). Have to wear ear plugs in order to position head/face and get a good sight picture. Ear muffs don't let you get close enough to the buffer tube/stock.

MGO Member
    I love my Sub 2000 in 9mm with Glock magazines. It has never malfunctioned, jammed ect. I have all the upgrades that M-Carbo has to offer. I have a Holsun red dot sight on it....you can bang 100 yard steel all day with this set up. This gun is what I use in 3 gun, no problem hitting bowling pins at 75 yards, and it is lightweight plus the 9 mm. ammo used to be cheap to shoot.