Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Question on NICs / Dealer Rifle Purchase

I haven't bought a rifle from a dealer in a while, just wondering if during the NICS check does the dealer record the type of firearm being purchased, or in any other way make a paper trail for a rifle purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikinbryno View Post
    I haven't bought a rifle from a dealer in a while, just wondering if during the NICS check does the dealer record the type of firearm being purchased, or in any other way make a paper trail for a rifle purchase?

Yes, all firearms are recorded on a 4473 and placed in the FFLs "bound book". That information does not go to the ATF unless the FFL closes shop.
    So, it is part of the process, but not part of the NICS check.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Yes, all firearms are recorded on a 4473 and placed in the FFLs "bound book". That information does not go to the ATF unless the FFL closes shop.
    So, it is part of the process, but not part of the NICS check.
    OK, thanks... so still on the books if a certain someone is elected and decides to send the ATF on a witch hunt. That was my question. Thanks for the info.

I am a Forum User
    Just because you bought it doesn't mean you still have it.. Especially if it's a rifle.

OK, thanks... so still on the books if a certain someone is elected and decides to send the ATF on a witch hunt. That was my question. Thanks for the info.
    Now you are stepping into an area whereas you might want to borrow that hat from the guy in your picture.

If this Elected someone sent anybody, it would most likely be the FBI. Now, where do they start the investigation? Other than Michigan, and a couple of others, nobody has a list of names, and what they have "registered" at some point, and in Michigan, that is only "pistols".

If the scenario is Biden trying to confiscate "assault rifles", they would probably start with the manufacturers. The manufacturers could supply records of what they have made, serial numbers, and which distributor, etc, they sent them to. The FBI would then have to go to those groups and get the lists of where they went next in the chain.

At that point in time, I would think that (hope that) history would start to repeat itself. The word would get out and stuff being sought would just not be there when they tried to seize it. And as the word spread what was going on, there would be a series of small fires all across the country in the FFLs storage/records rooms. This is contingent on the concept that SCOTUS has sat on their (collective) hands while it was going on.

The next response should/would be an armed interaction between some patriots and some oath-breakers.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to loosen MY hat a little.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Just to give you a little more: for the NICS check it is only the type of weapon (handgun, long gun, receiver etc) that is submitted. The quantity is not given nor is any other information regarding the firearm(s). You could be buying 10 rifles and it would be the same. The paper trail portion, as roundballer said, is entirely with the FFL (and when they close, the ATF warehouse).

However, buy two or more handguns within 5 business days and we are required to submit a very specific form to the ATF and the state police including your info and all the identifying information regarding the firearms.

MGO Board of Directors

If this Elected someone sent anybody, it would most likely be the FBI. Now, where do they start the investigation? Other than Michigan, and a couple of others, nobody has a list of names, and what they have "registered" at some point, and in Michigan, that is only "pistols".

If the scenario is Biden trying to confiscate "assault rifles", they would probably start with the manufacturers. The manufacturers could supply records of what they have made, serial numbers, and which distributor, etc, they sent them to. The FBI would then have to go to those groups and get the lists of where they went next in the chain.
    I think that it has long been a worry that congress can declare that the FFL records will be entered into a newly authorized database.
    If/when the Democrat party takes the Senate (as well as the house) they will abolish the filibuster and pass their wish-list of gun registration/confiscation bills.

At that point in time, I would think that (hope that) history would start to repeat itself. The word would get out and stuff being sought would just not be there when they tried to seize it. And as the word spread what was going on, there would be a series of small fires all across the country in the FFLs storage/records rooms.
    Not going to happen. 99.96% of FFL's are not going to risk their lives and fortunes on your freedoms and rights. Case in point, how many have fires now just before they close for business?

This is contingent on the concept that SCOTUS has sat on their (collective) hands while it was going on.
    Now that (SCOTUS sitting on there hands instead of defending the Constitution) is a sure bet.

The next response should/would be an armed interaction between some patriots and some oath-breakers.
    Should? Yes. But, I do not believe that this will ever happen either. We are all too complacent.

I'm not really arguing (didn't offer any proof). Just my opinions.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Now you are stepping into an area whereas you might want to borrow that hat from the guy in your picture.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to loosen MY hat a little.
    Hopefully right.

Quote Originally Posted by bae125 View Post
    Just to give you a little more: for the NICS check it is only the type of weapon (handgun, long gun, receiver etc) that is submitted. The quantity is not given nor is any other information regarding the firearm(s). You could be buying 10 rifles and it would be the same. The paper trail portion, as roundballer said, is entirely with the FFL (and when they close, the ATF warehouse).

However, buy two or more handguns within 5 business days and we are required to submit a very specific form to the ATF and the state police including your info and all the identifying information regarding the firearms.
    Thanks. I guess the takeaway for the most expectation of privacy is to buy from someplace like Jay's and not a smaller shop that might close the doors at any time. (No offense to to the FFL guys on this site.)

I'd love to buy private party but the pickins are slim.

MGO Member
    Hopefully right.

Thanks. I guess the takeaway for the most expectation of privacy is to buy from someplace like Jay's and not a smaller shop that might close the doors at any time. (No offense to to the FFL guys on this site.)

I would think the direct opposite. Buy from a small time dealer. Big dealers/shops have too much to lose to not comply with all the rules and regs. Small dealers have compliance regulations but stuff happens. When I had my FFL my basement flooded ruining all my 4473s and records. When I gave up my FFL I sent a plastic bag full of mush to the ATF. That was before computers were common. Many dealers today use online/computer 4473s which means there is a permanent record of all transactions.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    I would think the direct opposite. Buy from a small time dealer. Big dealers/shops have too much to lose to not comply with all the rules and regs. Small dealers have compliance regulations but stuff happens. When I had my FFL my basement flooded ruining all my 4473s and records. When I gave up my FFL I sent a plastic bag full of mush to the ATF. That was before computers were common. Many dealers today use online/computer 4473s which means there is a permanent record of all transactions.
    Hmmm, interesting point.

BTW, if anyone reading this thread wants to sell, I'm looking for an AR-10, along the lines of the Springfield Saint Victor. Haven't gotten to the point of a WTB ad yet.
    Last edited by mtnbikinbryno; 09-03-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast