Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Kudos to Kahr Firearms

I have a Kahr MK9 semi-auto pistol. I bought this gun new 23 years ago, I carried it everyday in my security/bodyguard duties. This gun have never malfunctioned, ever, I qualified every year with it. Myself I am not a fan of polymer frame guns, they just seem cheap to me, my MK9 is all stainless steel, so it does weigh more that the plastic framed models. and I think it is still the smallest full power 9mm out there. Anyway I was checking all my guns the other day, and I found that my MK9 had a crack on the slide, between the barrel and the recoil spring, it was just a hairline crack, but still a crack. The crack could also be seen from the inside of the slide, when removed from the frame. How long had the crack been there? I have no idea. I shot 3 PPC matches at the Taylor Police range last winter without any problems. Anyway I called Kahr, talked to Mark and told him my story, he sent me a return mail authorization and off the gun went to Kahr. Eight days later my gun was returned, with a new slide, new recoil spring, new sights, and a new ejector. Now that was extremely fast service, I can't wait to get out to the range and run some rounds through my MK9. I thought it would take a month or two to get my gun back. Dennis

I am a Forum User
    always great to hear stories about a company standing behind their product.
    Thanks for posting this.

Had the same thing happen to mine I got in 98 about 15 years back. The inside edge between the barrel hole and recoil spring hole are tapered and come to a knife edge on the original slide. I shot mine quite a bit and used it for a carry gun. After one shoot I noticed a crack starting in that thin area. I knew it could milled out and would likely never return. Also knew if I did that the warranty would be void. Called Kahr and explained the issue. They didn't want to send it in at the time and said when the crack reaches the front of the slide they would replace it. Took about a year more, but after one qualification there was a visible crack between the barrel and recoil spring hole on the front of the slide. Sent it in like they requested with a magazine. My experience was much the same, got it back quickly and they had put new nite sites on the slide, new grips and included another magazine when they sent it back. Took a look to see how they machined it differently, and the only thing I could see was that the knife edge area was milled away to thicker steel leaving a radiused area. Still shoot my MK9 and no issues although it's time again for new nite sites. The barrels on the early guns at least are made from Lothar blanks and the guns are pretty accurate for their size.

MGO Member
    I interesting, I will have take close look at my mk40 to if is so afflicted.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Happened to me as well, on a PM9. I think there was a batch of poor quality metals used on a range of serial numbers. Barrel was getting peened near rear of the chamber and kept hanging up on the slide ejection port causing a failure to go into battery and damage to the slide. I sent Kahr photos and the serial number. They told me to send them the gun and gave me a shipping label. In a few weeks they sent it back with a completely new upper.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

good to know, I have had my eye on a couple kahrs for a long time. That is fast, I hear so many horor stories about it taking months, and sending a gun back to so and so three times its a year long process sometimes.

Did they even make you pay for shipping ?

MGO Member
    No cost to me.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    good to know, I have had my eye on a couple kahrs for a long time. That is fast, I hear so many horor stories about it taking months, and sending a gun back to so and so three times its a year long process sometimes.

Did they even make you pay for shipping ?
    The VAST majority of Kahrs NEVER need service, they just work.

MGO Member
    Yep, carried it for 22 years, qualified every year and shot PPC bug matches with it never had any type of jam or hiccup. I understand that the earlier MK 9 Kahrs had a heat treat problem with the stainless slides that made them brittle, prone to cracking, like mine. I have no idea when the crack appeared, last year, or 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    The VAST majority of Kahrs NEVER need service, they just work.
    What models do you have ?

Did they work right out of the box from the stat, not even a fussy break in period?

Ive been on the fence about ct380 for a while, that interests me the most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast