Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Hand gun transfer question

*********moved to legal beagle*****************

So I have this scenario I'm wondering if I can get some advice on.

Father lives in Ohio where he holds a CPL
    Father wants to start sharing some things with his kids, including handguns

I live in Michigan
    Just completed my CPL class, need to finish the process.

Planned to do a process test on one gun so went to Oakland Co Sheriff got approved for License to buy (I explained what I was trying to do including the fact it was across state line)
    Sent to father who didn't want to sign, as it would be illegal to sell across state line (not sure why Oakland county wanted me to do this)

Am trying to avoid paying FFL on each of a collection of guns, but will if I need to.

So, question one. If we go FFL (which dad doesn't really want to deal with) can we mail directly to a Michigan FFL or does he first have to take to an Ohio FFL who transfers to a Michigan FFL? - Figured this one out, two FFLs not needed.

Question two, as I read the Michigan law there is an exception that a gun can be borrowed or possessed by a CPL as long as the gun is properly registered (friends, spouses, etc), with Ohio reciprocity can I conclude that once I get my CPL I can borrow and possess my fathers (Ohio) guns in Michigan as long as they are registered in Ohio? So I guess the scenario would be like a husband and wife sharing a handgun within the state. Can I share my fathers handgun if he is in Ohio and I am in Michigan with the gun registered in Ohio?
    Last edited by e15757; 09-06-2020 at 09:23 PM.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Ok, sorry I just found this Legal Beagle section. I'll go poke around there also