Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Question Help with an unknown safe

I'm from the UK and I've recently moved into a new house.
    It's got a small wall mounted safe under the stairs. The safe is open and empty and works when I put batteries in it, but I've no idea how to use it. There don't appear to be any markings on it to identify it's make or model.
    I did a reverse image search to try and come up with the model and got in touch with a UK company that appeared to sell a similar safe to ask for an instruction manual.
    They were particularly unhelpful and just wanted to sell me the same safe again. So I figured I'd get creative and ask people who would know about safes.

I'd like to use it, I just need to know how! A downloadable manual would be perfect, or even just figuring out the make and model so I can know who to approach to request such a thing. Or just some pointers.

Here's a pic of the thing:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/kvyYwLB43QD55wZ67

I guess I could post up a pic of it open too if required, just to prove I'm not trying to break into it

Can anyone give any advice on how i can use it or get a manual for it?

Just a quick look this appears to be what you have: https://www.newegg.com/p/113-004C-00004 note at the bottom there is an email for support@cecompass.com I believe that is who marketed/made your safe. Hopefully they can help further . I'll dig a bit more.

https://youtu.be/_tqTp57YfCw
    Last edited by alinc100; 09-07-2020 at 10:24 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you!

That is indeed the safe I have. Some of the description even makes sense with how it seems to operate, ie. an eight figure code then getting locked out after 3 wrong attempts and resetting with the key/removing batteries. I've emailed the support so will see what happens. That does just seem to be a vendor though rather than the manufacturer and there doesn't seem to be a record of the make or model on that website.

Useful to know it's an eight figure code, I was trying four or six figures with combinations of the A and B keys to attempt to set a new code.

Anyway, that's a really useful starting point, so many thanks.

MGO Member
    Greetings, You may want to post your safe question on sigforum.com as there is a couple safe experts that frequent that forum.
    Just post it in the lounge section.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    @alinc100
    That video was useful. Some progress made, in that I got it make noises and light up etc as well as re-setting the code. I'm clearly missing something though as even when the code has reset and the ready light is on, I can still unlock the safe without entering a code.

I need to watch more videos online and experiment further, but at least I'm on the right track now.

@gjgalligan
    I shall look into sigforum.com too, thank-you.

I am a Forum User
    I contacted sigforum as advised and they sent back a detailed message:

"To start, the default code is: 159(*/E/B depending on your model). This only applies when your order is first received and may still carry your new code even after the batteries are removed. The default code may revert to its original if left with no power for over a period of 4 weeks.
    To change the passcode (maximum of 8 digits), open the safe door, inside the safe door you will find a red button next to the hinge. DO NOT close the safe at this time, leave it open to test your new passcode first. Press the red button for 3 seconds and enter your new code (we recommend you write this new code and store it somewhere safe as there is no secondary method to access the safe) confirm your selection by pressing the lowest right button, this being either */B/E. The safe should beep and confirm your selection. Re-enter your new passcode, the lights above the keypad changing to green will confirm the passcode acceptance. Test this passcode once more and then attempt to open the safe with the door closed and secured."

I did all this and now the safe is fully functional. Keep in mind, I've never used a safe before, I soon realized I had to wait for the 'ready' light to go out for the safe to actually lock. The video and the detailed instructions were exactly what I needed.

Anyway, it's all sorted. Now I just need to find something valuable to put in it!

Thank you for your help and for pointing me in the right direction, it's much appreciated.