Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWabbit View Post
    The key word is yet, it may be never but, they will have the option to pursue at anytime. Imagine for some reason you get on a prosecutor's or Governors list of people they need to quiet down...

You may not be able to do anything about previous forms but I wouldn't give them any other opportunities.
    Maybe they didn’t prosecute me because they felt bad for me since they confiscated my SBR, because the rifle was stolen 30 years ago prior. I don’t know....
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    The whole registration system is a joke!
    Here, here!

Either give them the info they want on a piece of paper (or as they told me, a RI-060), and follow the law, or don't, and take your chances. I haven't been prosecuted yet for the 2 I turned in, been 4.5 years, maybe it takes awhile.
    Let's say you don't turn in an RI060. What is the worst that can happen?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by nmuskier View Post
    Let's say you don't turn in an RI060. What is the worst that can happen?
    Nothing. You're not required to nor are you legally able to complete an RI-060 for something you already own.

If you were to not complete an RI-060 for a handgun that you were required to complete one for (e.g., a handgun you purchase from someone else), then the worst that can happen is a $250 fine.

Both laws, 28.422 and 28.422(a) use the term "or otherwise acquires a pistol", directly after the word purchase.

It is all not as clear as people wish. There is a dichotomy perceived that is not clearly defined. Both laws continue on to talk about sellers and purchasers, which are defined elsewhere.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Both laws, 28.422 and 28.422(a) use the term "or otherwise acquires a pistol", directly after the word purchase.

It is all not as clear as people wish. There is a dichotomy perceived that is not clearly defined. Both laws continue on to talk about sellers and purchasers, which are defined elsewhere.
    From Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
    acquire
    transitive verb

1: to get as one's own:
    a: to come into possession or control of often by unspecified means
    acquire property
    The team acquired three new players this year.
    From Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
    make
    transitive verb

1a: to bring into being by forming, shaping, or altering material : FASHION
    make a dress
    b: to lay out and construct
    make a road
    c: COMPOSE, WRITE
    make verses
    2: to put together from components : CONSTITUTE
    houses made of stone
    Seems like a clear distinction to me.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    Seems like a clear distinction to me.
    Is there always both a seller and a purchaser when an individual "otherwise acquires a pistol"?

The instructions only appear to address one condition, a legitimate purchase. But the requirement is still there for all other cases. They just don't give a method to accomplish it.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post

Bottom line, you can't "acquire" something you previously acquired and still have interest in (i.e., ownership, possession, etc.).

Acquisition means you literally didn't have it before, but now you literally have it.

Also, attaching things to "widget A" doesn't mean you've (re)acquired "widget A" because you never relinquished your interest in "widget A" to begin with.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Nothing. You're not required to nor are you legally able to complete an RI-060 for something you already own.

If you were to not complete an RI-060 for a handgun that you were required to complete one for (e.g., a handgun you purchase from someone else), then the worst that can happen is a $250 fine.
    Exactly. Quoted for emphasis. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12