Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Michigan pistol registration

Hi,
    I've got a factory sbr with a 12.5 inch upper. It's OAL is over 26", so it's not registered as a pistol.

I want to change the upper to one that is 10". This will make the OAL about 24".

How do I register this as a pistol in Michigan??

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by hochv View Post
    Thanks for your help.
    Oh, we will be of no help to you at all.

Even though the law on SBS/SBR requires the process (28.422,28.422a), the process doesn't allow you to register something that you didn't purchase from another.

MCL 750-224b

<-- snip -->
    (4) A person, excluding a manufacturer, lawfully making, transferring, or possessing a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle that is 26 inches or less in length under this section shall comply with section 2 or 2a of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422 and 28.422a.
    <-- snip -->

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Does this mean that I shouldn’t or can’t mount the shorter upper??

I am a Forum User
    No, you can mount it. There's just no legally correct way to complete a RI60 for a self assembled pistol, therefore it is the opinion of many that you don't submit one.

You can mount it no problem.

No registration.

Hi,
    I've got a factory sbr with a 12.5 inch upper. It's OAL is over 26", so it's not registered as a pistol.

I want to change the upper to one that is 10". This will make the OAL about 24".

How do I register this as a pistol in Michigan??

Thanks for your help.
    I have called the MSP records division about this, and all they want is the correct info on the form, even though it says on the form, you would be making a false statement as there wasn't a sale. They seem not to care to fix the form, or seem to care if there was a sale, just as long as the gun info is correct. It's your call on this one, the law says give me the info with no legal way to do it!!
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    I have called the MSP records division about this
    That was your first mistake.

... and all they want is the correct info on the form, even though it says on the form, you would be making a false statement as there wasn't a sale. They seem not to care to fix the form ...
    They can't arbitrarily change the form. Statutory law would need to be changed.

It's your call on this one
    Not really. Following the letter of the law means you can't complete an RI-060 as both the buyer AND the seller.

the law says give me the info with no legal way to do it!!
    On this we agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    That was your first mistake.

They can't arbitrarily change the form. Statutory law would need to be changed.

Not really. Following the letter of the law means you can't complete an RI-060 as both the buyer AND the seller.

On this we agree.
    The whole registration system is a joke! Either give them the info they want on a piece of paper (or as they told me, a RI-060), and follow the law, or don't, and take your chances. I haven't been prosecuted yet for the 2 I turned in, been 4.5 years, maybe it takes awhile.
    Active airport shooter

The whole registration system is a joke! Either give them the info they want on a piece of paper (or as they told me, a RI-060), and follow the law, or don't, and take your chances. I haven't been prosecuted yet for the 2 I turned in, been 4.5 years, maybe it takes awhile.
    The key word is yet, it may be never but, they will have the option to pursue at anytime. Imagine for some reason you get on a prosecutor's or Governors list of people they need to quiet down...

You may not be able to do anything about previous forms but I wouldn't give them any other opportunities.

MGO Board of Directors

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” --Ayn Rand
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast