Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Targets that are easy to see hits from 22lr at 100yds?

Really, the title says it all, but I'll ask again anyways, with some details.

Took the wife and her 22lr rifle back to the range today, shooting at 100yds. We've got a nice spotting scope (20-60x) but man, 22lr does NOT leave a big hole (I know, I know.)
    Right now we're using some freebie targets she got with the rifle, similar to an "advanced rifle sighting target" but with a black background and yellow targets.

So, what we're looking for is a target, can be a plain bullseye-style, that (hopefully) will have easier to spot holes from her 22.
    Preferably inexpensive, which does somewhat rule out "reactive" targets.

If you are looking for some sort of "shoot'n'see" targets, they are pretty easy to DIY.

The actual target is just spray paint, you can make a stencil if you want specific images on them.

You stretch white plastic trash bags over card board and spray a bullseye on them.

The bullet blows away a ring of paint around the hole, that can be seen at distance.

If you are interested, there are many youtubes on the subject.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

“True Blue” targets like this one seem to work best for me.
    Name:  6C0D75CF-21B6-4C36-9BF2-703962530DCD.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  93.8 KB

This type of target should show 22 strikes with as low as a 12/14 power scope in good light at 100 yds. Be aware when using a large high magnification scope that the more magnification the more mirage affects the image and makes it harder to see anything, especially if the sun is out. On sunny days I do better looking through my Burris 15x45 set at 20/25 X then cranked all the way up. 22 lr hole show very well through a 18 X scope on most targets other then a black bull under most conditions. I shoot 22lr a couple times a week at 100 Yds and have found the holes to be fairly easy to spot, no harder for sure theN 5.56 holes at the same range.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I like shooting at steel so I can hear my hits At work, I was dinging the 10” gong at 350 yards with the shops 22lr. Lots of hold over, and about a foot of windage for the wind...
    Active airport shooter

Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    I like shooting at steel so I can hear my hits At work, I was dinging the 10” gong at 350 yards with the shops 22lr. Lots of hold over, and about a foot of windage for the wind...
    Steel is good, reactive targets hold up well to .22 lr.

Or take steel and put the shoot n see type stuff in front of the steel.

I am a Forum User
    I use the Bullseye Target Camera. Works great.

I am a Forum User
    Cover a piece of cardboard with packing tape.
    Spray the while thing with white spray paint.
    Make a template and spray bullseye with black spray paint.
    Let dry and go shooting! To reuse cover the holes with tape and re paint!

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    i have a pack of 30 glowshot sheets, 16 x 10 splatter targets. $25 in grand blanc.

Paper plates. A 12 power scope will work to see hits at 100 yards.
    MGO Life Member, NRA Life Patron Member, CCRC Life Member, GOA Life Member

MGO Member
    In the past I have just used clay pigeons. Prop them up on the berm or make up a rack for them to set in. Sometimes you can shoot them twice, pop the center with one shot, break the outer ring with the second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast