Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Information on County Sheriff gear

Is anyone familiar with duty gear circa the 1980’s?

I have a Monroe County Sheriff stamped 66-1 that I’ve had for many years. Going through bins of random accessories I came across a holster, and am curious if these were used together in the area. The holster is a basket weave Safariland 2752. Surprisingly well made Level II retention with a belt clamp for what I believe is a 2” or 2 1/4” belt loop. I am thoroughly impressed with its thumb break and tilt-forward to release retention, and wish this model was still being made so I could get another for one of my other more modern revolvers that I actually carry.

Not being a vintage police equipment guru, I’m just curious what Monroe and other surrounding counties used in the period. I think it would be pretty neat that I may have found a matching set of gear by happenstance from years of accumulating random equipment.

[img]

I am a Forum User
    Hey Fuel Fire:

I have a couple holsters like that one and it is designed such that a jacket can slide down between the belt and the holster so that the jacket does not interfere with drawing the weapon. I was successful searching ebay for my latest one.

It is a very heavy holster and very heavy duty too.

Quote Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
    Hey Fuel Fire:

I have a couple holsters like that one and it is designed such that a jacket can slide down between the belt and the holster so that the jacket does not interfere with drawing the weapon. I was successful searching ebay for my latest one.

It is a very heavy holster and very heavy duty too.
    This one seems to do the same, as long as the jacket doesn’t extend more than an inch below the bottom of the belt line. Remarkably overbuilt. The belt loop has a rigid polymer core, and the leather laminate is about a 1/4” thick between the gloss vernier (that’s flaking off), rawhide core, poly rigid inserts, and soft liner. It is heavy, but the draw position is near perfection, better than any other holster I have, including other modern duty holsters. Surprisingly comfortable while seated, and still easy to draw from. Even sitting in a basement for 30 years, and most likely a decade of service use, it’s still structurally sound...albeit aesthetically rough.

Safariland knew what they were doing with this one.

MGO Member
    Condition matches the grips....ALL BUSINESS!
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    Condition matches the grips....ALL BUSINESS!

That revolver was rode hard and put away wet when I got it. Cylinder was way out of time with slop in every direction. Paid $150 for it at Cabelas of all places, and had a Smith go over it with shims, a new hand, SA trigger job, and jeweled hammer/ trigger for $150. For $300 invested in a 66-1 that wound up being the sweetest shooting revolver I own, I can live with the “antiqued” grips, lol. I lived in Monroe county for over 30 years, so having a Monroe county sheriff stamped 66-1 is just a neat-o bonus. My uncle was a deputy in the county from the late 70’s though the late 90’s, he’s convinced that it was his duty gun that he was forced to return when the county went over to “those sissy 9’s”. He said he called in sick on the requal days when he knew the armorer was in to hold on to the .357 for as long as he could until the department demanded he transition. His reasoning was that the smith made a better blunt force weapon compared to the autos they transitioned too. That might explain why the grips look like they were used as a hammer.

I keep telling myself “this would make a great camp/woods gun” because the condition is already rough.....but I can never justify actually carrying a 6 shot K-frame over a 15 shot 10mm or a 6 shot .454 when I’m actually in the field. It’s seen nothing but putting holes in paper and cans with light magnums and .38’s since it was worked on. Kind of a waste for such a good revolver, but I can’t find a real practical use for it other than nostalgia. I wouldn’t mind doing a PPC match with it though.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 09-09-2020 at 12:09 PM.