Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: USCCA OR MCRGO

USCCA OR MCRGO

I am an NRA handgun instructor for all Handgun courses. A lot of money/time spent in earning these certifications. For various reasons, I am looking at a different certification and the two mentioned are what I am looking into. Interested in hearing from current instructors with either of these two organizations. Quality of course material, instructor support, If you have taken coursed from either of these as a student, what is your experience?
    Thanks for your inputs.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Patron Member
    NRA Handgun Instructor
    USCCA Handgun Instructor

I am a Forum User
    Stay away from MCRGO,lest you be forced to drink the Perricone Kool-aid.

I use the MCRGO curriculum. Its as good as any and I find the instructor interface easy to use. The presentation is flexable as far as you setting up your own flow and the instructors group is very helpful.

I have no experience with USCCA but when I looked into it the upfront class costs did not appeal to me. Feel free to PM if you would like.
    Just tryin ta keep it real !!

I wouldn't be funneling any money into MCRGO. Their CPL program is a cash cow and we should be developing our own so we can fund OUR priorities instead of theirs. I'll agree that the NRA program is a complete PITA and we need an alternative.
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    I wouldn't be funneling any money into MCRGO. Their CPL program is a cash cow and we should be developing our own so we can fund OUR priorities instead of theirs. I'll agree that the NRA program is a complete PITA and we need an alternative.
    So, why don't we?

There is this underlying myth that we need to take something to the State for "approval". I don't see that…

(1) A pistol training or safety program described in section 5b(7)(c) meets the requirements for knowledge or training in the safe use and handling of a pistol only if the training was provided within 5 years preceding the date of application and consisted of not less than 8 hours of instruction and all of the following conditions are met:
    (a) The program is certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provides 5 hours of instruction in, but is not limited to providing instruction in, all of the following:
    (i) The safe storage, use, and handling of a pistol including, but not limited to, safe storage, use, and handling to protect child safety.
    (ii) Ammunition knowledge, and the fundamentals of pistol shooting.
    (iii) Pistol shooting positions.
    (iv) Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion must be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force.
    (v) Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation.
    (vi) All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in this state.
    (b) The program provides at least 3 hours of instruction on a firing range and requires firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition.
    (c) The program provides a certificate of completion that states the program complies with the requirements of this section and that the individual successfully completed the course, and that contains the printed name and original handwritten signature of the course instructor. The certificate of completion must contain the statement, "This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372.". For certificates issued on or after December 1, 2015, each certificate must also contain both of the following, which must be printed on the face of the certificate or attached in a separate document:
    (i) The instructor's name and telephone number.
    (ii) The name and telephone number of the state agency or a state or national firearms training organization that has certified the individual as an instructor for purposes of this section, his or her instructor certification number, if any, and the expiration date of that certification.
    (d) The instructor of the course is certified by this state or a state or national firearms training organization to teach the pistol safety training courses described in this section. The county clerk shall not require any other certification or require an instructor to register with the county or county clerk.
    (2) A training certificate that does not meet the requirements under state law applicable at the time the certification was issued may otherwise meet the requirements of subsection (1)(c) if the applicant provides information that reasonably demonstrates that the certificate or the training meets the applicable requirements.
    (3) A person shall not do either of the following:
    (a) Grant a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to an individual knowing the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.
    (b) Present a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to a county clerk knowing that the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.
    (4) A person who violates subsection (3) is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.
    (5) A county clerk shall not require that a specific form, color, wording, or other content appear on a certificate of completion, except as otherwise required under this act.
    It seems to me that MGO, a 501c3 who's mission is firearms education, simply needs to:

A: Develop a class curriculum that meets the above requirements, at minimum.
    B: Develop a trainer's class to train and certify the trainers.

Back in the day (and maybe it is still out there), there was a "list" of "approved" classes maintained by the State. However, just because they made that up along the way doesn't mean it is required if it is not spelled out in the statute(s).
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    So, why don't we?

It seems to me that MGO, a 501c3 who's mission is firearms education, simply needs to:

A: Develop a class curriculum that meets the above requirements, at minimum.
    B: Develop a trainer's class to train and certify the trainers.

Back in the day (and maybe it is still out there), there was a "list" of "approved" classes maintained by the State. However, just because they made that up along the way doesn't mean it is required if it is not spelled out in the statute(s).
    We have tried, and it has come up a few times, but can never get the manpower together to get everything developed, that needs to be developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    We have tried, and it has come up a few times, but can never get the manpower together to get everything developed, that needs to be developed.
    I'll help.

FWIW
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    I'll help.

FWIW
    Will take all the help we can get!

MGO Member
    I'm NRA PPITH & PPOTH and MCRGO certified.

Much prefer MCRGO. They are easy to work with, the administration is good and the legal presentation is excellent. They only charge $10 per student and that includes a year membership in MCRGO. The individual per student fee is up to the instructor.

Jim

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    USCCA is better than the MCRGO class and way better than NRA
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast