Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

SKS scope rail - how to remove?

I have an old Norinco SKS that came with a short, Japanese made scope on a short, 4-5" picatinny rail that is top mounted right behind the chamber. It also has the typical, adjustable iron sights these guns normally have.

I found that I cannot see any way to remove this rail so I can have clear view of the sights; no visible screws to remove; it looks like it may possibly be welded on; or riveted with the rivet heads later ground down at the factory (-?)

Anyone out there familiar with this? Any way to remove that rail; or do I have to replace the whole steel cover it's mounted on? I looked at the SKS forum a bit; didn't see anything explaining it. Thanks. - Greg

It is machined or welded as part of the dust cover. You need a new one to make it iron sights.

MGO Member
    Yup, not removable. You'll have to find yourself an original receiver cover for your SKS. They're out there. Sometimes on ebay or you can google it.

Thought #1....I suppose you could grind the rail off if you don't want to spring for a regular one. Might be better to simply buy one and resell the one with the rail to recoup the money.

Thought #2....Take the cover off and check the bottom side for rivets. If present you might be able to drill them out but that puts holes in your cover so you're better off replacing it. See thought #1
    Last edited by Garymac; 09-10-2020 at 09:47 AM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

get a new one, new old stock NOS, keep that old one separate, or sell it off.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks 'old mann', DirtMcGirt, and GaryMac! I read enough later last night to finally understand that Norinco made these SKS's dust covers with and 'w/o' rails on them; I will look for one to swap it with. Of course I'll keep the original should I occasionally want to shoot with the scope on it; it doesn't look too easy to place more forward mounted scopes on these guns. - Greg

I am a Forum User
    Other than a dust cover, some had a rail on the side of the receiver similar to an AK's dovetail. Other consider a red dot or reflex site mounted on a pic rail on top of the gas tube.

Tech sights are the best option on sks.