Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Questions on my 870 shotguns

I have two Remington 870 shotguns that I have some quick questions on just to confirm.

The older one is around 30ish years old and is an Express model with the M at the end of the serial number. It came with a shorter barrel that was magnum rated.
    The second one is newer and is an 870 Magnum that came as a combo with the longer smooth bore and cantilevered rifled barrel.
    I have four barrels between the two of them, 3 of them say their good for magnum receivers (these three are all the ones that came with the guns) but the second cantilevered barrel bought (after market) for the older Express just says 2 3/4 and 3", nothing about magnum specific.
    The questions I have are:

With both of them having M at the end of the serial number, that means they are good for 3" magnum shells correct? (that a little obvious for the magnum gun but still just to confirm.)

I can't really find 870s that are just labeled Magnum like mine so it is any different from the Express or just different labeling?

If these are both magnum receivers than I am assuming that all of the barrels will be interchangeable between the two?

Is there any difference with that last barrel or is it good for magnum shells because it is good for 3" shells? (is the difference simply how they chose to label this barrel?)

Anyone got any good suggestions for chokes for both hunting and clay pigeons? Only the longer smooth bore can take them but having options is always a good idea.

I cannot say for certain on years past, but commonly, its going to be a matter of you will be able to fit t he barrell, but then you need to be careful with what you are shooting and buying.

I have a super mag 870.

I just always buy super mag barrels that way no matter what I can never put the wrong size in.

I rarely see barrels marked 2 3/4 only.

Also a side bar, I bought a new from Remington in the package express super mag barrel for rifled slugs, the packaging say shoot 2.75, 3, or 3.5.

Ill have to go check, but I think I recall being panicked when I got it, that I got the wrong one, because the barrel does not say 3.5"

http://www.dto.com/Hunting/article/5...ways%20magnums.

The word “magnum” refers to the quantity of gunpowder in a shotgun shell, which is usually the maximum amount possible for the shell size. The theory is that the more gunpowder that’s available, the harder, faster and farther it can push the pellets toward the target. This energy is commonly called “knock-down” power, and it provides cleaner kills at longer range because of the increased velocity.

The term “magnum” in shotshells is meant to describe a shell with a larger then normal charge of shot. To accomplish this shell length was raised to a 3” or 3.5” length and any shell of 3” or more or chamber accepting these lengths can be considered “magnum”.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Remington receivers with the "M" at the end of the serial number designate magnum, as in 3" ammo. Serial numbers ending in "A" mean Super Magnum, as in 3 1/2" ammo. Your question about the after market barrel, if it is a magnum? It says 2 3/4 and 3" on it. 3" is considered magnum, so that would be ok to shoot in it. The manufacturer of the barrel just didn't put MAGNUM on the barrel. Of course, not 3 1/2"!!!

MGO Member
    https://aiptactical.com/

Give this guy a call, he's a Remington expert. Had a great chat with him when I had questions about my 1100.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Remington receivers with the "M" at the end of the serial number designate magnum, as in 3" ammo. Serial numbers ending in "A" mean Super Magnum, as in 3 1/2" ammo. Your question about the after market barrel, if it is a magnum? It says 2 3/4 and 3" on it. 3" is considered magnum, so that would be ok to shoot in it. The manufacturer of the barrel just didn't put MAGNUM on the barrel. Of course, not 3 1/2"!!!
    I would disagree with of course not. I bet you big box stores see TONS of returns on barrels. Both buying the wrong one, as well as buying the right one but thinking tgey did not buy the correct one. A ton of people have no idea what size pants they wear, or what size dress shirt or jacket. Not everyone is up to this level of detail.

I would say 30% of adult males over 18 cannot distinguish AAA and double AA batteries.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I would disagree with of course not. I bet you big box stores see TONS of returns on barrels. Both buying the wrong one, as well as buying the right one but thinking tgey did not buy the correct one. A ton of people have no idea what size pants they wear, or what size dress shirt or jacket. Not everyone is up to this level of detail.

I would say 30% of adult males over 18 cannot distinguish AAA and double AA batteries.
    well...clothing size changes over time and with different brands.

3" will always be 3"

[QUOTE=AleksanderSuave;3243585]well...clothing size changes over time and with different brands.

3" will always be 3"[/QUOTE]

I can see this headed to the pit...
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

[QUOTE=Ol` Joe;3243608]
    Quote Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
    well...clothing size changes over time and with different brands.

3" will always be 3"[/QUOTE]

I can see this headed to the pit...
    I'll wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast