Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Who keeps track of rounds shot?

Just curious, based on reading here an account of a bulged barrel on a 1911. The suggestion was that we should keep a count so as to know when to replace worn/fatigued parts, hopefully prior to catastrophic failure.

I ask this because I have never kept detailed records of rounds fired in my firearms. I do know ballpark numbers, but now I'm wondering if I should do better, even keeping track of various components and expected life. I would also imagine it matters if I'm shooting my mild range handloads versus max power.

What say you all?

I have a spreadsheet that has all my guns. I try to keep it updated after every range trip but I'm sure I am missing some data...... but its better than nothing.

I also put notes for the type of ammo and any issues..... FTF's, FTE's, etc. I could never remember all this so I write on the targets at the range and update the spreadsheet when I get time at home.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Pond Scum View Post
    I have a spreadsheet that has all my guns. I try to keep it updated after every range trip but I'm sure I am missing some data...... but its better than nothing.

I also put notes for the type of ammo and any issues..... FTF's, FTE's, etc. I could never remember all this so I write on the targets at the range and update the spreadsheet when I get time at home.
    I do the same.

Ammo counts and round counts through each gun.

MGO Member
    Many of my guns are used at the time I acquire them so I don't even bother.
    I tried to on a couple of new guns but seem to lose interest in record keeping easily.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

MGO Member
    The bulged barrel on the 1911 was not due to how many rounds were shot through it, it was a squib, or something else that was in the barrel, mud, etc. I don't know how many rounds were shot through the 1911's I qualified with while in the USMC, but it had to many, many rounds.

MGO Member
    Keep track then divide by three when I sell

I am a Forum User
    " I tried to on a couple of new guns but seem to lose interest in record keeping.. "

Same here..a few yrs. ago I did start keeping what I call "Range notes".

After a range visit, I write date, what firearms were shot (sometimes I note approx.# of rds fired)
    and any pertinent info.. I.e. did I sight in a new scope ?..change a trigger, new bullet or powder charge tried ? if so, how was accuracy ?
    MOST IMPORTANT: Is there anything I want to do / change , before this gun goes to the range again ?

I have some firearms I've had, & used for 30-40 yrs. w/o ever changing a part on them..
    clean them, yes,
    lube them yes,
    change a part ? Not as long as it works the way it's supposed to work.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by denniscoon@aol.c View Post
    The bulged barrel on the 1911 was not due to how many rounds were shot through it, it was a squib, or something else that was in the barrel, mud, etc. I don't know how many rounds were shot through the 1911's I qualified with while in the USMC, but it had to many, many rounds.
    Lol nope if you read the of post I clearly wrote that I saw them hit, and I keep a clean gun

Quote Originally Posted by tkurban53 View Post
    Just curious, based on reading here an account of a bulged barrel on a 1911. The suggestion was that we should keep a count so as to know when to replace worn/fatigued parts, hopefully prior to catastrophic failure.

I ask this because I have never kept detailed records of rounds fired in my firearms. I do know ballpark numbers, but now I'm wondering if I should do better, even keeping track of various components and expected life. I would also imagine it matters if I'm shooting my mild range handloads versus max power.

What say you all?
    I used to, then stopped. I recently ordered up some water proof notebooks, I am going to get a waterproof pen, and start taking notes of what ammo, round count, what I zeroed with, mark my mags and do better inventory and note taking of all my crap.

I am a Forum User
    I've been doing it longer then I care to admit, I got the habit from my father in the early 50's. He was a competitive shooter and taught me to record the number of shots, the brass, powder and charge, bullets, weather and group size. For the past 15 years most of my shooting has been with 1911's and the shot book helps me remember when it getting time to change a firing pin, recoil or main springs. It's nice taking out one of my fathers rifles and accompanying shot book for it and reading his notes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast