Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    I don’t think it is necessary. For my high round count competition guns, I have at least one extra of every part that is know to fail. I have a rough idea on the amount of rounds put through the gun and when the life expectancy of part is coming up I keep an eye on it until I feel it needs to be replaced. If I am shooting a major match and I have parts near the end of their life cycle, then I replace them whether they show signs of needing to be changed or not. Just don’t want my match results effected by a $10.00 part I should have replaced.

This is the same method most of people I competition shoot with use. Just learn what Parts and when they are know to fail. Whether it is a guy shooting light production loads through a Glock or a guy shooting above max loads out of an open gun.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I used to, then stopped. I recently ordered up some water proof notebooks, I am going to get a waterproof pen, and start taking notes of what ammo, round count, what I zeroed with, mark my mags and do better inventory and note taking of all my crap.

This is great advice. I started writing my zeros and hold overs on the waterproof paper for my AR’s and stick them in the grip. This saves a lot of time at range sessions when using different ammo. I no longer need to zero ammo for practice. Just check the paper in my grip, dial, and start practicing.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tkurban53 View Post
    Just curious, based on reading here an account of a bulged barrel on a 1911. The suggestion was that we should keep a count so as to know when to replace worn/fatigued parts, hopefully prior to catastrophic failure.

I ask this because I have never kept detailed records of rounds fired in my firearms. I do know ballpark numbers, but now I'm wondering if I should do better, even keeping track of various components and expected life. I would also imagine it matters if I'm shooting my mild range handloads versus max power.

What say you all?
    I haven't ever kept track of rounds fired through specific guns as I might shoot 4 or 5 different guns in a day. I do sort of keep track of the number of rounds that I fire per year (not gun specific) as I reload about 99% of what I shoot so need to know what I shoot up to know what and when to re-order components well ahead of actually needing them.

Using number of rounds fired to predict failure has never been something I was interested in as I might fire 10,000 mild rounds in one gun and fire only 50 extreme high power rounds in another.

A shooter can bulge a barrel in one shooting session if a squib isn't caught before the next round is fired so round count is pretty useless in catching that.

Then you have the dry-fires to keep track of also as 10,000 dry fires with only 100 rounds shot can be just as hard on trigger springs and striker components as actually shooting the gun. Dry-firing can be even harder than actually shooting on certain striker components in some guns.

On semi-auto's that I shoot "A LOT" I usually replace the recoil springs fairly regularly but not on round count but more on a high usage schedule or when I start feeling the slide slamming while shooting.

On a couple of my winter revolvers (I hate chasing brass in the snow) I do replace the trigger return spring and hammer springs about once a year as those springs are J-U-S-T strong enough to fire the gun when new so I start getting some no fires after enough dry-fires or actual shooting. But these are not stock springs as the double action pull is under 6 pounds.

If you do decide to use round count as a guide on parts replacement then don't forget to also count dry-fires for certain parts, but never allow round count only to replace thorough parts inspection at each cleaning when it comes to replacing failing parts.

MGO Board of Directors

It depends on what firearm it is for me. All my rifles that I use to compete, I have a data book for each firearm that I have owned since new. Or I start one after the first time I re-barrel. If I bought one used, and the previous owner kept records like I do and included the data book in the sale, I suppose I would pick up where they left off.

I do not keep a log on shotguns, never thought of doing that.

I dont keep strict records on my handguns or hunting rifles, I do enter my best recollection in a spreadsheet after the trip. I would say they are +/- 25 rounds of actual. The competition rifle records are exact.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    I would think that the reasons for keeping track would be for resale (secondary) and to try to replace consumable components (barrel, springs, etc.) prior to failure (primary). What are your thoughts on the variables (bullet composition and type, MV (target loads v hi-power), caliber, etc.) that need to be considered for the decision to replace those consumables? Are the variables too variable (ha!) to develop hard and fast rules, like replacement of X at Y number of rounds? Or do you look at signs of fatigue? Thoughts?

And thx again for all those taking part in this discussion.

MGO Member
    I keep a record for each gun logging in each range trip: ammo fired, mags used, any issues, if I adjusted the sights etc. I number my mags so I know which ones have been tested, in which gun, with what ammo. For a self defense firearm I think this is essential. Just my approach anyway.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    I do the same.

Ammo counts and round counts through each gun.
    I do exactly the same for maintenance purposes.. i also add info to each gun tab about the preferred sight picture of the gun combined with a certain load recipe.. This way when I pick a handgun with a certain reload for a competition match I know exactly where to hold the front sight by quickly reading my notes. Here is a sample of the HK45 tab:

I am a Forum User
    Yes on every one of my competition rifles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12