Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

HK 416-D .22 Rimfire

I recently acquired a HK 416-D rifle to add to my armory. I wanted a rifle to add a suppressor to and while I wanted something accurate, it didn't need to be target quality. I was also interested in a semi auto and the HK caught my eye. Cost for the rifle alone was $429 at Dunham's. The suppressor is a cheap Sig I picked up for under $300. The combination works well. The suppressor isn't quite as quiet as my Osprey, but the difference is minor, especially considering the difference in price of the two and the ease in installing the Sig vs the Osprey which requires shims for proper alignment.

On the range, the rifle preformed to expectations, placing most of the 30 rounds in a large ragged hole at 25 yards. Ammo used was standard velocity CCI and out of several hundred fired, there were no failures of any kind. The sights on the gun are barely adequate in that they allow windage changes but not elevation, something that is critical IMHO with a 22. What were they thinking?? It didn't bother me because I stuck a scope on the gun (a variable power Nikon Tactical 22), but still, that is just plain stupid, so plan on changing the sights or getting rid of them if you want to be happy with the gun.

Pretty much everything on the gun mirrors an AR15 in function, which makes it a natural for someone used to that platform. Besides the sights though, the trigger is bad. I've not put my trigger gauge on it yet, but my experienced finger is guessing around 8 or 9 pounds. I was hopping that since the rifle mirrors AR15's in many ways, the trigger could make use of the numerous fixes available but such is not the case. There is a spring kit available from HK that is supposed to reduce the pull by 3 to 3.5 pounds and smooth it out. I have one on order and eagerly await it's arrival. The overall fit, finish and function of the gun lives up to HK standards, even though it's not actually built by them, being built by Walther and rebranded by HK.

In summation, the rifle performs to my expectations despite to two problems of sights and trigger pull. I will update this when the replacement trigger springs are installed and I get a chance to stone the contact points of the trigger parts. Bottom line is I would conditionally recommend this rifle based upon the outcome of the trigger work and if you were buying with the intent of installing a scope or red dot.
    Lighten up Francis.

Addendum to trigger. Spring kit for trigger has been installed. It's not a difficult operation, but be careful when disassembling as the main spring keeper can (and did in my case) go flying for places unknown. Result is a much improved trigger, though still not as light as I would like, maybe 4 pounds. The design of the trigger group and parts used (plastic) make any other modifications for improvement impossible. Still, as I stated, the springs and a light coating of grease helped considerably.
    Last edited by Tom S.; 09-20-2020 at 05:13 AM.
    Lighten up Francis.

I am a Forum User
    Great review thanks! Have been thinking of getting one! Lgs has one (last time I was in there anway)!