Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Hornady 4dof Ballistics Calculator

I've recently dove fully into the Hornady app.

I did a rebarrel and had to go through the whole load development gauntlet so I thought I'd give it an honest try.
    Without disclosing my thoughts upfront, I'd like a few opinions from those who currently use or, have tried to use it.

A hit or miss; the why and why not...

My uses are daily target shooting with a bolt gun.

Thanks much!!

MGO Member
    I have used it for 6.5CM and 300WM using Hornady ELDM pills. With the correct setup and MV, I found it very accurate to at least a 1000yds. That was in 4 different rifles as well.

I am a Forum User
    Being a bit of a Hornady fan, and user of a ton of their bullets I too gave 4DOF a try. I was disappointed.
    I find it cumbersome to get data in and out of it and the interface just not user efficient. It's a great looking interface, but it's horrible to use.

I have it installed still on my phone, but generally default to either Strelok Pro, Shooter or the Kestrel Link App if I'm tinkering with a Kestrel and the gun profiles I have built in there.
    Shooting matches, usually only my Kestrel. I'll compare data once in a while between stages or something, but as a habit, I usually stick my phone in my bag and go.

I am a Forum User
    I think setup is a large hurdle the get over. As with any calculation system; garbage in is garage out. The zero angle in particular is a mind bender when first starting to learn the system. It takes a lot of back and forth to get the numbers dialed in correctly.
    Once you arrive at the "ah ha" moment the firing solutions it provides are brilliant.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Being a bit of a Hornady fan, and user of a ton of their bullets I too gave 4DOF a try. I was disappointed.
    I find it cumbersome to get data in and out of it and the interface just not user efficient. It's a great looking interface, but it's horrible to use.

I have it installed still on my phone, but generally default to either Strelok Pro, Shooter or the Kestrel Link App if I'm tinkering with a Kestrel and the gun profiles I have built in there.
    Shooting matches, usually only my Kestrel. I'll compare data once in a while between stages or something, but as a habit, I usually stick my phone in my bag and go.
    I'm pretty much anti Hornady and anti Glock.... yet I have a boat ton of each product. Go figure right.
    Strelok is fun to use. It has a super bright HUD, reticle with hold off, wicked good scope and bullet library and some additional features that I enjoy using. Reticle ranging and the moving target estimators are awesome.
    I just never had first shot dial up confidence when using it. It would get me there-ish most times but I was looking for more.
    I understand the Kestrel if you're a competitive shooter. Integrated atmospheric cuts down on a lot of extra crap to lug around.

I am a Forum User

The Pros

What I expect.
    If I give a Ballistic Solution system the best information possible I expect to be on tgt. Not walking it in over the next few shots.
    So far I'm seeing this with the 4DOF.
    It's not super easy to set up or even understand at first...or second, or third.

It gathers a lot of information but once inducted provides accurate results.

I'm still testing with it daily. Changing loads, load development and such.
    After finalizing a load 2 days ago it put the DOF to a test this morning.

I placed a playing card skinny side out a 414 yards.
    I input the atmospheric and made my wind calls. Avg 6 mph from 90.
    1st shot was .8950" right. 2nd .8700" touching.

This is the reliable data that I'm looking for. Outstanding work on Hornadys part in my opinion.

Off topic and another opinion, I don't think a playing card can be split at this distance with a .264. I feel spin drift causes the bullet to enter or depart the card to much from the side to actually split it in half. Hummmm????

MGO Member
    I agree that the UI has somethings to be desired! But I find that true for Strelok as well! The one thing I hate about Strelok is you have to PUSH the calculate button after changing something. Where 4DOF updates anytime you change a value. I always forget to hit Calculate! BUT... the 1 BIG thing 4DOF is missing for me is Scope 'offset' on the setup.

i use this in Strelok because I have several rifles with Area419 brakes and Suppressor mounts. I only have 1 Can, and I move it around. The POI is very predictable/repeatable when changing between either setup. SO in Strelok, I can copy RifleA that was trued up with say the brake, then simply go into the setup and add my POI shift to the scope settings, and now when I look at the tables, my offset is included for the new setup. This is a GREAT feature. If 4DOF had it I would have been very happy! I don't like having to look at the solution, the say to myself... Well, add .2 UP and .4 left every time!

Hope that makes sense!!

I am a Forum User
    When you say scope offset are you referring to scope height over bore (4dof has this), or offset meaning the corrections due to changes because brakes, cans and such??

If the latter than 4dof makes those corrections when you set up the zero angle.
    The zero angle is not as straight forward as just punching in -.3 like you do in Strelok but I'm finding it's more accurate because the measurements are corrected by an exact measured distance (say, 1.6543") rather than a Mill or Moa number.

Mine for example has my 130 eld over H4350 @ 106 yes I have a 0/0 turret settings but if I go to 140 berger on H100v at same distance my turrets are down. 62 right 1.22.

7 different loads my have 7 different zero distance turret settings. Just click on your favorites, pick the load and rip er.
    We are talking the same thing here but preference is always king.

Strelok always bothered me with it powder sensitivity computation. It's based on the velocities you input. To obtain something that was useful you would have to record quite a few strings in a variety of weather conditions to get something useful.
    4dof has done this research already. Click h4350, factor of .74 and you're on your way.

Thanks for bringing your thoughts to the table. I dig this chit.

MGO Member
    Thanks to you as well. I asked this question about offset on a few forums, and everyone said 4dof couldn’t do it! So I bought StrelokPro. I will revisit this in the Hornady app. Yes, I was meaning scope settings offset. Can you correct both elevation and windage?

I do find these conversations very helpful and enjoyable as well!

I am a Forum User
    Jeez man.... you got me all second guessing myself.

I don't shoot competition or get really into the scene of shooting outside of what I do on my own.
    That said; I am super dedicated to reloading and in no way want to be sending out bum information.
    Sooo, I did a test this morning to confirm.

I built two different known loads. From annealing all the way through the entire process.
    One was 140 Berger Vld tgt on H100v the other 130 ELD on Varget.

Both loads went through the Ladder, OCW tests and then run through Jump at .002 increments. They both are tight and zeroed @ 106 yds. Both also were corrected in DOF for elev/wind.
    Now both these loads are just sitting in my Favorites section waiting for a tap on the screen. (Same way as if you used a brake, flash hider or whatever )

So the test was to just shoot 1 of each in succession while using the exact same environmental for each. Basically, figure wind, weather, angle, azimuth, earth based effects and let em rip.

Only thing I did was click on them in my favorites.

My primary goal when shooting is to have that round impact where I want it. Not walking it in from over in the dirt somewhere.

Today's target for these 2 rounds was a dime on a white sheet of copy paper @ 414 yards.

Results: Shooting at a dime, both impact holes could be covered by a dime, both were less than a dimes distance away from the point of aim.
    In competition terms, if you were shooting at a tgt 414 yards away it could have been 2 1/2" square and you would have hit it with both rounds on cold bore.

Long story long, the 4DOF can adjust both ways and provides insanely accurate calculations.
    The input initially takes time but once its there dial up is just 1 push of a button.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WaZ...ew?usp=sharing

...and yesterday's card splitting at 414 yds
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FfR...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by SICVIC; 09-18-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Add information