Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I missed the boat....

Years ago, I worked at a big FFL. Every day I would fondle a particular gun and go “this things pretty neat”, but never ended up buying one because it was $700, and wouldn’t be a carry gun (good ol minimum wage logic). I had always told myself ‘I’ll just pick one up later’. Well.....later is now, and my tastes in pistols have fallen directly onto what I used to fondle. I was thinking....hey, I should just get one of these...they can’t be too much money today, they were still making them about 10 years ago....

Enter disappointment and crippling regret.

Others I’ve seen sold have been close to $1500.....though I believe those were 625-6’s (pre-lock, no MIM, hammer mounted firing pin). I’m so disappointed I missed this train. I’ve been looking for a 625 Mountain Gun for a while now, and so few are up for sale anywhere. Fewer still sell for under $1000. I did miss an auction in July that sold for $695, which still gives me hope of finding a reasonably priced one. But boy am I disappointed in myself. Not only that this a gun that I looked at and fondled daily for years, but now they’ve all seem to evaporated off the market and into the collectible realm. Never thought that would have happened when I was working there.....”no way a post lock MIM Smith will become collectible in the next decade..”

I was wrong........rant over.

MGO Board of Directors

Maybe not, if a "few years ago" was in 2005.
    $1,000 is about $700 in 2005 dollars.

Also consider how much you earn today vs a few years ago.
    $1,000 (or even $1,500) may be more affordable for you today than a few years ago.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    Maybe not, if a "few years ago" was in 2005.
    $1,000 is about $700 in 2005 dollars.

Also consider how much you earn today vs a few years ago.
    $1,000 (or even $1,500) may be more affordable for you today than a few years ago.

IIRC I think this was around 2012. But yes, spending $1000 on a toy today is fairly tolerable. Spending $1000 back then was unfathomable. I remember buying my first $1000+ firearm back then. It caused me more stress than buying a car does today.

I’ll still wind up getting one.....the question is finding one (hopefully locally), and if I’m forced to use an auction site, hopefully lock it down before a bidding war starts between collectors.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    IIRC I think this was around 2012. But yes, spending $1000 on a toy today is fairly tolerable. Spending $1000 back then was unfathomable. I remember buying my first $1000+ firearm back then. It caused me more stress than buying a car does today.

I’ll still wind up getting one.....the question is finding one (hopefully locally), and if I’m forced to use an auction site, hopefully lock it down before a bidding war starts between collectors.
    You can always tell the wife (if you are married) that you won it in a raffle.
    Not that I would ever do that.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    You can always tell the wife (if you are married) that you won it in a raffle.
    Not that I would ever do that.
    “Oh....I’ve had this for years, you’ve just never seen it before since it was in the back of the safe.”

I mean....a 625 is entirely redundant and a step down in performance from my current woods gun, a Ruger Toklat. But as well made and strong the Ruger is, even having a superb factory SA/DA trigger......it just lacks the elegance of a Smith. Even now I can’t imagine a scenario where I’d grab the mountain gun in standard .45 colt over my Toklat loaded with hot rod colt or .454 on a camping trip.....but I still want it, lol.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 09-17-2020 at 12:50 PM.