Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Check my math...frame stress

I’m doing some basic high school math. I’m curious what peak frame stress my revolver is encountering during firing (just for fun).

The .454 Casull produces 53,000 psi.

The .454 Casull bullet is 0.452”

Pi x r squared is 0.16 square inches of area.

53,000 psi x 0.16 square inches is 8,480 ponds of force.

Is my math correct on thinking that the frame of my revolver is withstanding 4.24 tons of stretching force upon firing? Just bored and curious. Pretty impressive as well.

I am a Forum User
    You do realize that a lot of us are Marines on this forum right.
    Just adding the 4, 5 and 4 together already used up most of our resources.

Quote Originally Posted by SICVIC View Post
    You do realize that a lot of us are Marines on this forum right.
    Just adding the 4, 5 and 4 together already used up most of our resources.

Lol, there are a couple of mechanical engineers on here that make me feel outright stupid with math...and I have 7 years of higher education in aerospace. Buuuut....those years have to do with button pushing and wrench turning. I’ve brain dumped most of the math involved.

Wrist stress is more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    Wrist stress is more like it.
    I’m putting them through a Toklat with a Tamer grip. It’s honestly not that bad. 300 grain/ 1400 fps loads are comfortable, and the hot 240 grain/ 1900 fps loads are snappy, but not terrible. I’ve had a few .454’s, the Toklat is by far the most tame. The gel insert in the back makes all the difference. Hot .45 colts loaded to .44 magnum levels are no more snappy than a 10mm 1911, and standard .45 colts are total softballs. The wife shoots those up like 9mm.

I am a Forum User
    My math is the same as yours. That’s a pretty impressive amount of force.

I believe the area of the frame under pressure is the base of the case not the bullet base. The rim diameter is .512" which would add a bit to the numbers you have come up with. You also would have to add in the area of the frame under pressure from the barrel as the barrel actually expands behind the bullet as the slug travels down it, sort of like in the old cartoons when Elmer pops one off at Bugs.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    I believe the area of the frame under pressure is the base of the case not the bullet base. The rim diameter is .512" which would add a bit to the numbers you have come up with. You also would have to add in the area of the frame under pressure from the barrel as the barrel actually expands behind the bullet as the slug travels down it, sort of like in the old cartoons when Elmer pops one off at Bugs.

Just adding for the sake of conversation, not trying to counter pose.

But wouldn’t the force be applied to the area inside of the pressure vessel? The case is tapered on the inside to form the web of the case, so while the case head/ rim Is significantly larger than the bullet diameter, the expanding gasses only impart a force on the total area of the widest part of the interior of the case, which would be the neck where it meets the bullet.

I guess I’ve been craving intelligent scientific discussion rather badly lately since I haven’t seen work since April, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    Just adding for the sake of conversation, not trying to counter pose.

But wouldn’t the force be applied to the area inside of the pressure vessel? The case is tapered on the inside to form the web of the case, so while the case head/ rim Is significantly larger than the bullet diameter, the expanding gasses only impart a force on the total area of the widest part of the interior of the case, which would be the neck where it meets the bullet.

I guess I’ve been craving intelligent scientific discussion rather badly lately since I haven’t seen work since April, lol.
    I agree, pressure would be measured over the interior of the case, the amount working on the frame would be the pressure acting on the rear interior of the case. Thrust would be measured off the case head I believe.
    Varmite Al’s web page has a couple engineering studies on rifle chambers, bolts and barrels under pressure that may be of interest to some. Nothing concerning pistols there however.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Because of the expansion of gasses the case is going to see pressure in all directions, a portion of the pressure will be going back into the frame, but also a portion is going to be going into the cylinder walls. This will effect your math quite a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast