Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is there a prism red dot, of any major brand that can co witness on an AK

I have one saiga with a vortex strikefire ii that is ok ish but I have astigmatism and the dot is bad, not the dots faut.

On my other saiga, I would like to mount on a side rail in the back so probably rs regulate or midwest industries rail, with some sort of prism red dot.

Does any prism red dot allow for co witness mounting ?

I am a Forum User
    Take the optic to your next eye exam and have your astigmatism script tuned to the dot.

MGO Member
    Maybe an older a Vortex 1X. The one that takes a CR2032 battery. Those allow for different bases.

I am a Forum User
    dont think you'll get low enough with that type mount. i have a krink with a sig xdr and rs regulate and it doesn't co witness, maybe an rmr would idk. i have rs mount with a vortex 3xprism and same thing. rmr with a mount that goes in rear sight block may. imo the rs mounts come off so fast that if ya wanna use irons it would take 3 seconds to remove. just my opinion.

With my glasses on I have 20/20 I thought, or better maybe, the dot is not terrible on lower settings but brighter it becomes three dots. I mean its perfectly serviceable at 100 yards or 200 yards on an ak, the ak has garbage steel sights in my opinion so its not holding me back a ton.

I put a primary arms red dot on my marlin 22 and suffer the same effect, low setting its pretty nice, if I crank it it gets worse, but shooting squirrels at 50 yards, in thick cover its so much better than factory sights again. I do like them, I just want to see what people with perfect eyes get to see.

Just if I am spending 200-500, I might as well buy one that does the right stuff, right?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    With my glasses on I have 20/20 I thought, or better maybe, the dot is not terrible on lower settings but brighter it becomes three dots. I mean its perfectly serviceable at 100 yards or 200 yards on an ak, the ak has garbage steel sights in my opinion so its not holding me back a ton.

I put a primary arms red dot on my marlin 22 and suffer the same effect, low setting its pretty nice, if I crank it it gets worse, but shooting squirrels at 50 yards, in thick cover its so much better than factory sights again. I do like them, I just want to see what people with perfect eyes get to see.

Just if I am spending 200-500, I might as well buy one that does the right stuff, right?
    Your distance correction doesn't have anything to do with the astigmatism. It's up to you, but the optometrist should be able to sharpen the dot for you with your lenses.

I am a Forum User
    You need an ultimak rail to cowitness.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkanzky View Post
    Your distance correction doesn't have anything to do with the astigmatism. It's up to you, but the optometrist should be able to sharpen the dot for you with your lenses.
    Interesting.

Then this will work on more than one model, more than one color ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tacdriver83 View Post
    You need an ultimak rail to cowitness.
    Not a fan of ulitimak and the sight up front.

Maybe ill get a 2x or 3x PA prism sight and just be fine with it not co witnessing.

out of curiousity what prism mounts to ulitimak low enough to co witness ?

I am a Forum User
    You could also go with a rs regulate mount if you’re not into the forward mount. Aimpoint micro and clones will allow a cowitness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast