Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Anybody hunt this weekend ?

Killed a big doe about 6 pm tonight. She was standing next to a nice 6pt buck, but it's doe only this weekend.

I was using my dad's 303 Savage 99. It was made in 1903. Had a 60'S ERA 2.5x weaver scope on it. 65 yards, one shot DRT. A GOOD DAY!
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

MGO Member
    I was chasing red squirrels out of an out building and walnut tree this afternoon.,
    I found a Romanian M69 .22 I never knew I had. I cant hit anything with it but its fun to find something old. Missing magazine, that's a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    Killed a big doe about 6 pm tonight. She was standing next to a nice 6pt buck, but it's doe only this weekend.

I was using my dad's 303 Savage 99. It was made in 1903. Had a 60'S ERA 2.5x weaver scope on it. 65 yards, one shot DRT. A GOOD DAY!
    Congrats! I struck out on deer this weekend, but still enjoyed my sits. Saw a nice 8 pt. buck that I hope sticks around until November.

Was hunting with a Marlin 1894C in 357 Magnum (158gr XTP/FP on top of H110, runs at about 1750 FPS).

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandiacus View Post
    Congrats! I struck out on deer this weekend, but still enjoyed my sits. Saw a nice 8 pt. buck that I hope sticks around until November.

Was hunting with a Marlin 1894C in 357 Magnum (158gr XTP/FP on top of H110, runs at about 1750 FPS).
    Nice set up. I have a marlin 94 in 44mag I've killed a number of deer with. I also have a Timberwolf pump rifle in 357 I was debating hunting with. Decided on the Savage in honor of my dad who passed in April. He hunted with that rifle until he was 87. I think he would be pleased to see it still killing deer.

Oh, and the ammo was 180 gr Remington SPs from the 1960s.
    Last edited by Garymac; 09-21-2020 at 07:05 AM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post

Congratulations!
    Your Dad has good taste!
    The Savage 99 is a beautiful gun.
    You must be in the Upper half of the lower peninsula.
    They don't allow the 303 to be used down here in Zone 3.

I was out there with my Ruger .44 Rem Mag Carbine.
    Sat out all day Saturday, but two does came in only a few minutes after legal light.
    I enjoyed every minute of the day though.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    Congratulations!
    Your Dad has good taste!
    The Savage 99 is a beautiful gun.
    You must be in the Upper half of the lower peninsula.
    They don't allow the 303 to be used down here in Zone 3.

I was out there with my Ruger .44 Rem Mag Carbine.
    Sat out all day Saturday, but two does came in only a few minutes after legal light.
    I enjoyed every minute of the day though.
    I'm in NW Gladwin co. Though I do use 44 mags, 450 BM & 350 legend. All are good and do the job. I have a Ruger 44 carbine I've taken deer with. All have been one shot kills, DRT.

I spent 2 late afternoon / sunsets out in the field. 120 acre parcel with fields, woods and thickets. Spooked 1 doe walking in on Sat afternoon.
    Other than that, did not see a single deer the entire time. A squirrel ran up with a nut in its mouth and apparently wanted to stuff it in my wifes coat pocket, then changed his mind when just about on her lap...

2 mature doe down. Thankful to eliminate a couple crop munchers.

MGO Member
    Do you guys have walk in coolers?

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmann1967 View Post
    2 mature doe down. Thankful to eliminate a couple crop munchers.
    Nice, I still have venison in the freezer so I skipped this early weekend but I have tags to fill in the regular season and late doe if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledhead View Post
    Do you guys have walk in coolers?
    Likely just process them immediately or run them to a processor ASAP.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast