Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Cartridge restrictions in Limited Firearm Deer Zone

The 16-year-old daughter said she wanted to go deer hunting this year. She plans to use my T/C Contender rifle in .357 Maximum. If I'm taking her, I might as well bring along something to poke a deer with as well. I'm thinking maybe a handgun .44 mag.

I haven't hunted deer in years, and never in Michigan and I'm not sure if regs have changed since Iast looked into it. I seem to recall prior to the "shotgun zone" being opened up to straightwall rifles, there were limitations on what types of handgun cartridges could be used. The list essentially looked like what we now have for rifle cartridge limitations (.35 cal or greater, straighwall, case at least 1.16" long but no more than 1.80" long).

However, looking at the DNR 2020 Hunting Digest, it appears the case length restrictions have been removed (eta: with regard to the handgun rules in the Limited Firearms Deer Zone). The only limitations I see are straightwall cartridge and capacity no more than 9 rounds in the gun. So would this leave it open for someone to legally use something inappropriate like a .380 ACP? Or a .41 Rimfire? or some other aenemic cartridge that is still at least .35 cal and straightwall? What about the other way. A .45-70 case is too long for rifle regs, but what about using one in a single-shot pistol?

On the other hand, it would also mean one could use a 10mm, which has a case shorter than 1.16", but is in the same class as the .357 Mag.

I just thought it curious. I'm not planning on using anything that's not terribly traditional... this year.
    Last edited by GarrettJ; 09-27-2020 at 09:40 PM.

MGO Member
    Are there any 45-70 pistols? Maybe but probably not.
    Last edited by Garymac; 09-27-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    Of course there are...
    https://www.magnumresearch.com/bfr-big-frame-revolver/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7RFD1_ESbpM

Back to the OP’s question though. IMHO the guide/pamphlet on deer hunting is and has always need a poor source for the actual laws and rules for hunting, deer or otherwise. I wouldn’t depend or stake a claim on much of what is within it as legal/allowed or the opposite based on what is poorly explained or is missing from them.

Find the actual DNR regs/Laws and then decide if your pistol is legal. If it’s a revolver in .44 Mag, I believe you are fine. As for the other calibers in your ‘what if’ scenario, I do not know.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    Sure. You can get a BFR from Magnum Research chambered in .45-70 or .444 Marlin. (balrog beat me by 6 seconds.)

I have a 14” Contender barrel in .45-70. It’s really not a lot of fun to shoot, even with mild loads. I find that if I download it to the point where it’s tolerable to shoot, I get essentially the same ballistics as I can get from a .45 Colt in a similar barrel length.

But it is a potential option.

Last edited by GarrettJ; 09-27-2020 at 08:13 PM.

I am a Forum User
    The 2020 digest has different sections for rifle and pistol in Zone 3:

• A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

• A 35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a min. case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.

MGO Member
    Sure wish the 1.80 would go away. I can live with the straight wall but a pinch longer case for loading purposes sure would be handy.

I am a Forum User
    45-70 rifle IS NOT legal in the restricted zone as the cartridge case length (2.105) exceeds the 1.8 inches maximum in the rules.
    If using a pistol there are no case length limitations.
    Last edited by Michaelk; 09-27-2020 at 06:36 PM.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckey View Post
    Sure wish the 1.80 would go away. I can live with the straight wall but a pinch longer case for loading purposes sure would be handy.
    For rifle use? What would you load?
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckey View Post
    Well, if the case length restriction no longer applies to pistols, and if you don't mind using a single-shot, you could use a T/C Contender or Encore with a folding stock. Since there is very little receiver length behind the barrel, the overall length is shorter than most firearms of similar barrel length.

With a 16" barrel installed and a folded stock, it looks like overall length would only be around 20". This would still be a rifle under the federal definition, but would be a pistol with the way MI measures with the stock folded. So you would end up with a "MI Pistol" that has a rifle stock and would fall under the Handgun rules.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to warn you about having to argue with the local possum cop, but since we're just talking about "what-if's" for the moment, I'll leave those discussion for someone else.

if the 1.8" case length rifle restriction went away I'd dust off my 444 marlin or use a 45/70, 375Win, 38-55 or even 405win. The first year I already had a 357AR and used that, but then made a 44x1.8" upper which equals my 444 Marlin with a longer barrel velocity wise until you get up over 265gr bullets. Any of the rimmed longer cased guns you can use if you trim the case down to 1.8". I tried it in my 444 and it shot terribly so I went with the wildcat route. So if the straightwalled 1.8" long cases run at higher pressures end up running similar speeds to longer classic chamberings, why eliminate the classic cartridges based on case length?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast