Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettJ View Post
    The 16-year-old daughter said she wanted to go deer hunting this year. She plans to use my T/C Contender rifle in .357 Maximum. If I'm taking her, I might as well bring along something to poke a deer with as well. I'm thinking maybe a handgun .44 mag.
    That should fit the bill nicely

I haven't hunted deer in years, and never in Michigan and I'm not sure if regs have changed since Iast looked into it. I seem to recall prior to the "shotgun zone" being opened up to straightwall rifles, there were limitations on what types of handgun cartridges could be used. The list essentially looked like what we now have for rifle cartridge limitations (.35 cal or greater, straighwall, case at least 1.16" long but no more than 1.80" long).
    It is still there. Starting on page 22.
    All Firearm Deer Seasons - Limited Firearm Deer Zone (See pg. 11)In the Limited Firearm Deer Zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as follows:
    •A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
    •A muzzle loading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
    •A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.
    •A firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm.Exceptions: See Muzzle loading Deer Seasons below.
    •A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a min.case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
    •A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external high-compression power source.
    These restrictions are only for the limited firearms zone.
    However, looking at the DNR 2020 Hunting Digest, it appears the case length restrictions have been removed. The only limitations I see are straightwall cartridge and capacity no more than 9 rounds in the gun. So would this leave it open for someone to legally use something inappropriate like a .380 ACP? Or a .41 Rimfire? or some other aenemic cartridge that is still at least .35 cal and straightwall? What about the other way.
    You have a couple of things twisted, the Statewide rules do not list the caliber or mag restrictions.
    A .45-70 case is too long for rifle regs, but what about using one in a single-shot pistol?
    No case limits on pistols, just on rifles.
    On the other hand, it would also mean one could use a 10mm, which has a case shorter than 1.16", but is in the same class as the .357 Mag.

I just thought it curious. I'm not planning on using anything that's not terribly traditional... this year.
    No case limits on Pistols in the limited firearm zone. Even more open for the rest of the State.

Handgun Regulations - Statewide The rules listed below may not apply to those having a concealed pistol license (CPL) or specifically exempt by law from a CPL and carrying their handgun in accordance with their license or exemption.
    • A person must be at least 18 years of age to hunt with or possess a handgun.
    • Handguns cannot be borrowed or loaned to another person other than provided for under the CPL.
    • While in the field, handguns must be carried in plain view.
    • Carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view is permitted.
    • You may transport your registered handguns while en route to and from your hunting or target shooting area; however, handguns, including BB guns larger than .177 caliber and all pellet guns, must be unloaded, in the barrel and magazines, and in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms and cannot be readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.
    • It is a crime for certain felons to possess ammunition and firearms, including rifles and shotguns, in Michigan.
    • Nonresidents must have a CPL or a license to purchase, carry or transport issued by their home state in their possession in order to legally carry or transport a handgun in Michigan. For more information regarding statewide handgun regulations, obtaining a CPL, or concealed weapons and firearms laws, contact your local police department.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    There is also the 460 S&W Mag and the 45 Raptor (wildcat) which have similar velocities out of a short (8 inch) barrel than a 45-70 does out of a long (24 inch) barrel.
    And both meet the 1.8 inch straight wall requirement.

MGO Member
    I run a .357 Max and with a full load of AA1680 the case is rather full and requires a very special touch to make it work. I've been working with the Max for a long time and probably have tried every powder on earth with the right burn speed, AA1680 seem to work the best in my rifles (24") and Lil'Gun in 16" handguns. A pinch longer case (.250) would be welcome.

I am a Forum User
    I've been hunting in the limited firearm zone with an Encore pistol in .444 Marlin since 2008 when I wanted to do something different. I know at least going back that far, there has not been a restriction on max length for straight wall cartridges in a pistol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12