Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Surprised at current Marlin quality

I just picked up a new Marlin 1894 in .45 colt. Absolutely shocked at how their quality has improved since the Freedom Group takeover.

When I worked at an FFL in the 2010’s, it seemed every Marlin we got in had fitment issues worse than Rossi. Tangs that sat noticeably above the stock, hand guards with wood 1/8” thicker on one side than the other, large gaps between wood and steel, sharp edges on all machined surfaces (to the point it was uncomfortable/ painful to operate the action without gloves), actions that felt rough clunky and sticky, and blue that was so thin a sharpie could leave a darker color. We even had some of their high end stainless models with the long Picatinny rails with a noticeable twist in them because the mounting holes were drilled off center, and the rails were just forced on. It turned me off to the brand so much I refused to even consider anything they produced unless they were as old as I was.

I have been really into the .45 colt cartridge recently, and found a good deal on a new 1894. Decided to take a chance with it. Boy was I surprised at the build quality. It looks like an honest effort was put into the manufacturing of this rifle. Buttery smooth action, crisp trigger with no creep, dark walnut (though unfinished/ satin with no lacquer), few gaps if any between wood and steel, flush tang, symmetrical hand guard, decent blue, and shockingly accurate. Even the bolt to frame fitment is so close tolerance the bolt almost disappears into the receiver in battery. A far cry from the many others I’ve sold at the FFL where they were so loose you could almost drop a dime in between the bolt and frame. It honestly feels like an $800 rifle again. Good job Marlin....it looks like you finally got your crap together. I’m excited to see what improvements will be made under Ruger ownership compared to Freedom.

Excellent wood fitment. Flush tang, and no overlaps between the butt pad and stock.

Finally......symmetry in the hand guard. Even beveling, and the same thickness of wood on either side of the receiver and barrel.

The bolt looks as if it was actually fitted to this receiver, instead of picked from a bin and tossed in. The upper gap is so close tolerance it disappears when closed. Decent blue for a modern blued gun too. Nice and dark, with little grain showing through. Considerably better than the previous ones I’ve gone through that look like they were machined with dull tooling, and then blued so thin you could still see the white of the steel though the black.

Not just random pallet wood either. It’s honest black walnut with actual burl curled throughout. By no means a high grade piece of wood, but surprisingly good color and curling.

This surprised me the most. Shockingly accurate. My last Freedom Arms gun had terrible chatter in the rifling from dull tooling, and it’s accuracy was so poor the factory sights didn’t even have enough adjustment to regulate to the center of its large groupings. This was a ragged hole made with hand loaded 250 gr plated lead flat points at 25 yards. The rear sight needs to be drifted a bit, it’s noticeably off center, and required me to hold a full bead to the right, elevation was spot on for these warm colts, shot slightly high with traditional velocity colts of the same bullet. The sights being slightly off from the factory don’t bother me too much, since I’m replacing the rear leaf with a Skinner aperture. The groups are phenomenal though....especially since this ragged hole was shot free hand standing. And shot with ammo I pressed out with economy as a primary concern for banging steel with a revolver....accuracy was of no concern when making these.

I guess my faith in modern Marlin is a bit more restored. Pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 10-02-2020 at 09:04 PM.

I bought the same rifle in .44 a few years ago. Geno @ Wicked Trigger let me dig through a few of them to cherry pick the one I wanted. Some the fit and finish were a little spotty, the actions a little rough. The one I bought looked and felt great.
    It's wonderfully accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

I also have a Henry in .357... worlds apart in quality, for a very similar price.

I'm hoping the future holds good things for the Marlin brand.

Oh, and congrat's on a great new rifle!
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    I bought the same rifle in .44 a few years ago. Geno @ Wicked Trigger let me dig through a few of them to cherry pick the one I wanted. Some the fit and finish were a little spotty, the actions a little rough. The one I bought looked and felt great.
    It's wonderfully accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

I also have a Henry in .357... worlds apart in quality, for a very similar price.

I'm hoping the future holds good things for the Marlin brand.

Oh, and congrat's on a great new rifle!
    I was actually waiting to check out one of the new Henry’s with the side loading gate. I love Henry’s, especially for their silky actions, but hated the front end tube loading. This 1894 isn’t Henry smooth, but it’s leaps and bounds better than any other modern Marlin I’ve handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    I was actually waiting to check out one of the new Henry’s with the side loading gate. I love Henry’s, especially for their silky actions, but hated the front end tube loading. This 1894 isn’t Henry smooth, but it’s leaps and bounds better than any other modern Marlin I’ve handled.
    Yeah, the magazine tube on the Henry is my only real complaint

And, there are a few videos out showing how to silk up that Marlin action... a project I intend to tackle this winter.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach