Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Colt 1911 With Non Functioning Backstrap Safety

I bought 2 really nice Colt 1911's from a friend...
    On of them has a non functioning backstrap safety. The lever moves but the gun will fire whether the backstrap is compressed or not...

Any ideas? Any 1911 experts want to take a look?

My next stop is youtube... the only "gunsmith" (at a local and LARGE gunstore) I took it to couldn't figure out how to take out the barrel (it has a full length guide rod)...

thanks

The grip safety is prety straightforward. Essentially it needs a new one fit to the gun, also not terribly difficult to do. In the old days of competitive shooting a lot shooters disable the grip safety as occasionally it would get in the way.

This video does a nice job of showing the interaction between the trigger bar and grip safety.

There are no truly "drop in" options, all will have to have a little material removed to function.

MGO Member
    Thanks.

Can I call you to discuss?

Quote Originally Posted by bae125 View Post
    The grip safety is prety straightforward. Essentially it needs a new one fit to the gun, also not terribly difficult to do. In the old days of competitive shooting a lot shooters disable the grip safety as occasionally it would get in the way.

This video does a nice job of showing the interaction between the trigger bar and grip safety.

There are no truly "drop in" options, all will have to have a little material removed to function.

Quote Originally Posted by sigfan View Post
    Thanks.

Can I call you to discuss?
    Sure, I'll be around tomorrow

I am a Forum User
    Some owners may remove internal parts to deactivate the grip safety.
    The grip safety never has bothered me,on any 1911 I've owned, but some gun owners still do it.
    It's pretty easy to disassemble a 1911..check out a few youtube videos & you can figure it out , easily.

MGO Member
    I will check that.. I got a bag of parts with the gun.... I will look thru them

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    The grip safety never has bothered me,on any 1911 I've owned, but some gun owners still do it.
    It's pretty easy to disassemble a 1911..check out a few youtube videos & you can figure it out , easily.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    I totally disassembled the gun. What a MESS.. really dirty and carboned up. I LOVE YOUTUBE
    It has an aftermarket grip safety with extended beaver tail. This beaver tail has a little pin in the bottom which keeps the safety strap held down and in fire mode.
    So not broken... disabled. Grinding off the little pin would re-enable it.

MGO Member
    BTW... This is a lovely nickel plated Colt Combat Commander, modified as follows:
    1) Wilson Combat Barrel
    2) Full Length guide rode
    3) Compensated
    4) Trigger job
    5) Extended beaver tail with grip safety disabled
    6) Extended mag release
    7) Bo-mar rear site (elevation & windage adjustable)
    8 ) Hogue grips

Barrel is clean and bright, rifling sharp.

It is for sale

Does show some normal signs of usage. This was not a safe queen.

I am going to work up a price soon.
    Last edited by sigfan; 10-06-2020 at 10:45 PM.