Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member Forum User

Question Anyone know who will thread a mini-14 barrel?

Not a lot of gunsmiths I know are willing to thread a mini-14 barrel at a reasonable price. It’s the pencil barrel series. From my understanding, it needs to be removed from the action, hence the additional costs. I’m in SE Michigan but willing to drive to someone who has experience with mini’s.

I am a Forum User
    Start with Ken Kubin in Farmington Hills.
    If he can't do it, or can't refer you to someone else local, then Adco down in Sylvania OH.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Start with Ken Kubin in Farmington Hills.
    If he can't do it, or can't refer you to someone else local, then Adco down in Sylvania OH.
    I forgot all about Ken, I will talk to him if I can get a hold, worked with him in the past. I did see ADCO on their site advertise the service.

I am a Forum User
    Problem is that the action is too large to fit through the headstock of most lathes. Most lathes also have too long a spindle to feed it through from the back and still have the muzzle forward of the chuck.

I tried Adco in Ohio a while back, they are not able to thread the Ruger Mini-14 barrels.

I would check with Tornado Technologies. I dont know if they are accepting new work, but they are the BEST.

I need a Mini-14 barrel chopped and a Surefire Warcomp pinned and welded.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    I would check with Tornado Technologies. I dont know if they are accepting new work, but they are the BEST.

I need a Mini-14 barrel chopped and a Surefire Warcomp pinned and welded.
    They do the mini for $150. I do have a single blade model, I will have to add shipping costs.

When I had mine chopped and threaded, On Target in Kalamazoo did a fantastic job. Not sure if it was only possible to thread after the chop, but it fit in the lathe. It was $65-$75, can’t remember, was in 2016.
    Last edited by JDG; 10-11-2020 at 06:14 PM.
    Active airport shooter

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    When I had mine chopped and threaded, On Target in Kalamazoo did a fantastic job. Not sure if it was only possible to thread after the chop, but it fit in the lathe. It was $65-$75, can’t remember, was in 2016.
    Seems like a really good deal, Ken Kubin will do the threading for about that much, anyone else reading this (Just FYI). He was going to charge additional for cutting the barrel but after some measurements, cutting it with my folding stock would set it in pistol territory so I decided to just thread it, don't feel like registering it as a pistol at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr0ss View Post
    Seems like a really good deal, Ken Kubin will do the threading for about that much, anyone else reading this (Just FYI). He was going to charge additional for cutting the barrel but after some measurements, cutting it with my folding stock would set it in pistol territory so I decided to just thread it, don't feel like registering it as a pistol at this point.
    Mine needed registering too!

Active airport shooter