Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Suppressed "SBR" single stamp question

I'd like to assemble a one tax stamp SBR with a permanently fixed suppressor.
    I understand that means minimum 26" OAL from rear of stock (collapsed) to end of suppressor.
    Is that correct?

How do you recommend "permanently" fixing the suppressor?
    What is considered "permanent"? I mean, if I disassemble the can for maintenance am I suddenly a felon?

There's a few reasons I'd like to do this, but one of the big ones is not dealing with SBR travel regs, or individual state restrictions.

Was also considering going the solvent trap/eForm1 route for this project.

TIA for advice, comments and/or recommendations on gunsmiths who might do the 'fixing' work- that is if you don't recommend DIY using high-temp JBWeld

I am a Forum User
    Shortest fireable configuration. It will include the entire pinned or welded can, unless part of it can be removed and the firearm still operate (e.g., Dead Air Wolfman).

Sure, save a stamp and transport more easily. But ...

Depending upon the barrel you choose, your barrel should wear out LONG before your can. Better not damage the can when you R&R the barrel. (Get a good barrel to begin with)
    If you have a baffle strike or issue that requires factory work on the can, you're likely going to be SOL (void warranty, depending upon can/vendor) due to having it pinned or welded.
    Pin/weld a can, then find out your threads aren't perfectly concentric? Yikes.
    No desire to swap between rifles?

How do you recommend "permanently" fixing the suppressor?
    I believe there are some suppressor manufacturers who make suppressors specifically for this purpose (e.g., pin to barrel).

My advice for most AR gunsmithing is almost always ADCO Firearms just west of Toledo, OH.
    Last edited by Scoop; 10-12-2020 at 08:05 AM. Reason: typo (fireable not fileable)

I am a Forum User
    Wouldn't you have to go the Form 1 route or buy it already complete from a dealer to only file one stamp?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockoff64 View Post
    Wouldn't you have to go the Form 1 route or buy it already complete from a dealer to only file one stamp?
    Get your can (which you have to have a tax stamp for regardless) and have it pinned or welded to the barrel. THEN build it into a complete firearm. No SBR due to pinned/welded can, so no second stamp needed.

I have a Griffin GP7 just for pinning and welding.

I am a Forum User
    Next time some democrat tells you that you have a small appendage because of your rifle, tell them it has to be 16" or longer per federal regulation.

MGO Member
    The TBAC takedown is uniquely suited for your build. It comes with the ability to rebuild the can and take down from the front. It is heavy but balances well with a 10.5" BBL'd upper.

Name:  D465_4566_img.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  48.0 KB

https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/556-take-down

Just a thought here, but to me sounds like you'd be better served with a pistol AR and a can, than a pinned and welded one that extends the OAL past 16".
    I haven't looked into it, but I have to imagine the same states that have issues with SBRs probably don't look any more favorably on cans, either. So your legal length barrel with permanent suppressor isn't going to be legal in there anyway.
    You could always buy a pistol AR and a QuietBore can, Form 1 both of them and convert them both to a SBR and silencer. Then, if you're going to be traveling to a state that doesn't allow SBRs, just put a brace on it and convert to a pistol again for the time you're in that state.
    You'd have them both approved in one 1/8th the timeframe it takes to get the can Form 4'd anyway.
    Then if the ATF starts acting sketchy and tries to categorize pistol ARs as SBRs or AOWs, you've already gotten the stamp for it in the first place.