Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

My Cousin Vinny shot a Match today.

Ahhh the Ole Play on Words.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=abxgfRfMZFk

OK so I'm new to MGO and have been posting some videos around here or naming my posts oddly.

This past week I shot a penny, shot a nickel suspended by fishing line, split a playing card suspended by fishing line then today shot a Matchstick all at 400+ yards.

I'll come clean here. I'm not a good shot, im not posting for atta boys or the "you're so cool" factor; I'm posting to inspire thought into what it takes to make difficult shots.

I joined to find those like minded few that really love the entire process of shooting.
    Quads, you are one of them.
    You call it like you see it and I respect that. You love the sport and hate turds.
    Roger that!

I'm not a great shot but I do have a deep understanding of what it takes to make a shot and that's my Jack. What it takes? How you reload, how you setup behind the gun, understanding of environmental, do you really understand your scope, how do you challenge yourself, mental awareness; a never ending list.

These are just a starter of what I'm reaching out to compare. The videos are just a lure. Ya'll would have thought I was just a Kook without them.

As for me; I've spent a large majority of my life in hostile environments both with the Military and attached to. I have to shoot and that's it.

I'm nobody, I don't compete and as you can see I enjoy laughing at the success as much as failure.
    This whole intra-Web thing is not my cookie but I'm trying.

I miss, not every shot is perfect, my way is not the only way... yup.

But if you like the entirety of what a successful shot takes. I'm your guy.

Or, you can just watch the video, post a hate comment and that's cool to lol

The Sickness

I am a Forum User
    Don't get me wrong Vic. Sic shots. No doubt. I simply couldn't figure out how sound and bullets travel the same speed in your video. I wasn't calling you out personally. Like I said earlier, that dog don't hunt. I was just trying to wrap my head around it.

Mad respect and hattip for making those shots. I just couldn't (still can't?) wrap my head around bullet vs sound traveling the same speed.
    Last edited by Quads; 10-08-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Try getting your head around this one:

The report from the rifle travels at the speed of sound, and is at a stationary source some distance away.

But, the sonic shock-wave from the bullet traveling above the sound barrier travels at the same speed as the bullet, until the bullet drops below the speed of sound.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Nice shooting! You seem like someone who likes to challenge himself. Have you tried lighting one of those strike anywhere kitchen matches? My personal best (nope, no video/pictures) is lighting one at 50 yds with my Anshutz 22lr. I must confess it took many shots and many matches before success because I kept knocking the tip off the match. But there is no way I could split a card or light a match at 400+ yards!
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Don't get me wrong Vic. Sic shots. No doubt. I simply couldn't figure out how sound and bullets travel the same speed in your video. I wasn't calling you out personally. Like I said earlier, that dog don't hunt. I was just trying to wrap my head around it.

Mad respect and hattip for making those shots. I just couldn't (still can't?) wrap my head around bullet vs sound traveling the same speed.
    Sic play on words! Nope I totally get it. As I said earlier; I respect someone who expresses their thoughts fourth right rather than talking smack to their hommies.

Someone many branches up the tree probably has a precise answer but I have 2 theories. 1st is the recording device itself. (My phone ) I'm only shooting a few inches over it and I think there may be an internal delay or offset between audio and video capture. Maybe one processes faster than the other. In this case, the audio side.

My second guess is location. The Farm is called Echo Valley for a reason. There is a boat ton of sound reverberation that happens is this low area surrounded by woods.

I'm throwing darts here. Lol Smart person please feel free to chime in!

In the end, nothing is impossible. Hell, hitting that key... who saw that coming right???

All good and thank you! !

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Try getting your head around this one:

The report from the rifle travels at the speed of sound, and is at a stationary source some distance away.

But, the sonic shock-wave from the bullet traveling above the sound barrier travels at the same speed as the bullet, until the bullet drops below the speed of sound.
    Think I can relate to this.
    When rounds are being fired at you and passing nearby they have a very pronounced sound. I've always thought of them compared to the Jets making the sonic boom cloud. Cept with the rounds, I'm not looking around waiting for the next one to come by.

I will say you completely smoked me with the stationary source part.
    Good stuff!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Nice shooting! You seem like someone who likes to challenge himself. Have you tried lighting one of those strike anywhere kitchen matches? My personal best (nope, no video/pictures) is lighting one at 50 yds with my Anshutz 22lr. I must confess it took many shots and many matches before success because I kept knocking the tip off the match. But there is no way I could split a card or light a match at 400+ yards!
    That is an amazing achievement and no I've never tried something like it.
    I will ask; did the match actually combust into an operational flame or did it kinda just poof expending the sulfur like the crappy ones I try and light my trash with???

Super dope either way.

I'd talk more but I'm off to Walmart to purchase a gun.... Kidding, just referencing your quote.
    Keep shooting those challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by SICVIC View Post
    That is an amazing achievement and no I've never tried something like it.
    I will ask; did the match actually combust into an operational flame or did it kinda just poof expending the sulfur like the crappy ones I try and light my trash with???

Super dope either way.

I'd talk more but I'm off to Walmart to purchase a gun.... Kidding, just referencing your quote.
    Keep shooting those challenges.
    You have to use the strike anywhere matches and just skim the white tip with the bullet to make the match burst into flame. I'm still trying to light a match at 20 feet down my hallway with my Red Ryder BB gun. Been trying for several winters now.....

Another fun challenge is to put an old, but sharp, hatchet out at your choice of distance then pick a gun.... pellet or cartridge of whatever caliber... and try to cut the projectile in half. Put a balloon on each side of the hatchet. The smaller the caliber and the further the distance the more difficult it gets.

But you have my admiration with what you have already accomplished!!!
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    You have to use the strike anywhere matches and just skim the white tip with the bullet to make the match burst into flame. I'm still trying to light a match at 20 feet down my hallway with my Red Ryder BB gun. Been trying for several winters now.....

Another fun challenge is to put an old, but sharp, hatchet out at your choice of distance then pick a gun.... pellet or cartridge of whatever caliber... and try to cut the projectile in half. Put a balloon on each side of the hatchet. The smaller the caliber and the further the distance the more difficult it gets.

But you have my admiration with what you have already accomplished!!!
    You're need Farmers Insurance! You ever seen their commercial?
    The pitch is "we've been around the block and see a thing or two "

When you hit them up for a claim because you burned down the house with your Red Rider they won't even be surprised.
    We are Farmers; Bah Bah bump bum! ( if you're never seen the Comercial then you think I'm a fool right now)

The hatchet idea is perfect!
    I'll search it to get an idea of where balloons would need to be placed relative to the axe. Of course to the side but you would need some space or you'll just be popping them with every miss of the axe.
    I'm going to work on engineering something tomorrow.

Have you completed that challenge and if so what calibers and distance?

Thanks much

Vic

I have a video somewhere of cutting a .177 pellet in half and popping two balloons but it was at close range.... maybe 20 or 30 feet in my back yard. Have no clue how I could post it. I kinda got sidetracked with the BB gun because it is so difficult to be accurate with a BB gun and I should try splitting pellets again but at longer distances.

Not very worried about causing a fire. Have extinguisher handy. Best I've managed with Red Ryder is to come close enough to cause a sulfur smell.

Although lately most of my range time is spent with close up self defense scenarios I used to shoot 7.62x39 at the range a lot when ammo was really cheap. I saved the shells, stuck them in holes in a board, then shot the primers out with my .22 marlin at 25 yds.

And then there was the time I hung several balloons on strings about 4 inches apart, loaded my Ruger Single Six with shot shells, told my buddy to "watch this!"... walked up then drew and fired once but hit 2 balloons. Messed up his mind for a while.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 10-08-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast