Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Remington 1100 issues

have an original remington 1100 trap.

I broke the cardinal rule of upgrading parts..

I made 4 different changes at the same time. Now I’m running into an issue.

#1 I upgraded the carrier assembly to the competition carrier assembly part #F300902

#2 I removed the magazine tube wooden plug. I imagine this has been inside for the duration of the 50 years of this shotgun’s existence.

#3 I added a sling mount that sits between the magazine cap and tube. (It does have a detent)

#4 I added a rear sling mount that sits between the receiver and the stock.

Since the above, a few issues now occur.

#1. Pulling the bolt back to charge it seems to occasionally put it about a quarter inch further than it should be, locking it in the open position.

I can push it back into position with my thumb.

#2. Pulling it back to pull a shell from the internal magazine doesn’t always drop the shell into the chamber.

#3. After shooting it also occasionally does #1 and #2 now, not advancing another shell into the chamber or sending the bolt forward, and locking the bolt back.

Any ideas? I can definitely remove the sling mounts to remove 2/4 changes made and help isolate it, but I think I’m seeing some issues here that were just masked before by the old parts all being worn in “just right”.

I'm guessing issue #1 may be a carrier issue, can't help you with that other than to say look for binding or dirt or junk in the recoil spring tube. I did have mine do that when over tightening a saddle scope mount years ago before there were cantilever barrels. The insides of those guns can have razor sharp burs so be careful if you take it apart and fish around in there. Issue #2 I've had happen or at least something similar. there are two cartridge stops on the magazine. One is a long flat spring and the other is a lever that has a safety pin looking torsion spring. If that lever doesn't move freely it will not allow the next shell to feed, and if the spring is too weak the shell will not feed. Happened to me rabbit hunting back in the 80's and luckily I was able to figure out that the spring was weak. One end of the torsion spring is staked into the frame and the other rests on a groove in the feed lever. I unhooked the lever end from the groove and spread it apart slightly so at rest it was at a greater angle than before and slipped the spring back onto the lever. Figured if it happened again I'd replace the spring. It's 2020 and so far it's still feeding just fine as the squirrels can attest to. Next time it fails to feed a cartridge, see if you can get it to feed by slipping a pocket knife past the carrier to push on that lever. If it feeds a shell and the lever moves freely you have something to try.

MGO Member
    I tore it down today, down to nuts and bolts and found a few things.

After a DEEP clean..the bolt was running a lot smoother, however, two things I noticed.

1. my magazine spring was something like 25"...the stock one is considerably less (between 18-21" depending on the source of info), so I'll be replacing that.

2. my action spring was compressed to the point of being about an inch and a half too short...will be replacing that too.

3. Im thinking the combo of the receiver sling plate, the upgraded carrier, and the removed plug, created the perfect storm of issues that were previously just a hair away from being present.

Going to try a set of J&P springs. I hear theyre pretty good, and a big increase over the stock ones (especially "new" remington)