Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Semi Auto shotguns HD Or tactical - m2 vs. 1031 vs. versa max

Looking for a 18-20" barreled semi auto tactical/home defense shotgun.. after being in a class and running a few different shotguns for different purposes, I realized/learned a few things.

1. mag-fed shotguns suck.
    2. I dont like the behind-the-triggerguard safety of my remington 1100 trap..
    3. I will end up putting a side-saddle (velcro style) and flashlight on it.
    4. would prefer something that makes multi-round reloading a little easier, so maybe something with that in mind to begin with (3 gun flavor setup?)

So I'm looking at comparing the benelli M2 Vs. the Beretta 1301 and the Remington Versamax because I do like my Remington 1100 trap for all things it does, but its also a 1970 model..so I know its not "like the current ones"..

Biggest concerns are with feeding/functioning of all readily available ammo, and what I've heard about a few of these having issues shooting slugs..

Any thoughts from those with experience in these platforms?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
    4. would prefer something that makes multi-round reloading a little easier, so maybe something with that in mind to begin with (3 gun flavor setup?)

So I'm looking at comparing the benelli M2 Vs. the Beretta 1301 and the Remington Versamax because I do like my Remington 1100 trap for all things it does, but its also a 1970 model..so I know its not "like the current ones"..
    I run (quite poorly to be fair) an M2 for 3 gun and if you get the Benelli definitely mod/update the lifter to remove the 'U' portion if that is still the stock configuration. The beveling of the loading area is great for dual or quad loading but for a defensive weapon you would be loading singles so nice but maybe not helpful? Never had any issues with light loads, slugs, etc. A 21" barrel with take roughly a 8 shell extended tube and be close to flush so hopefully with 8+1 you would not need to be reloading much.

You may end up getting more responses to your question asking why you would choose a semi auto shotgun for home defense than feedback on the shotgun itself

I am a Forum User
    I guess I would go with the Benelli!

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seif View Post
    I run (quite poorly to be fair) an M2 for 3 gun and if you get the Benelli definitely mod/update the lifter to remove the 'U' portion if that is still the stock configuration. The beveling of the loading area is great for dual or quad loading but for a defensive weapon you would be loading singles so nice but maybe not helpful? Never had any issues with light loads, slugs, etc. A 21" barrel with take roughly a 8 shell extended tube and be close to flush so hopefully with 8+1 you would not need to be reloading much.

You may end up getting more responses to your question asking why you would choose a semi auto shotgun for home defense than feedback on the shotgun itself
    I took a shotgun class recently to improve on my shotgun skills. I know its not "perfect" for home defense but I think its a good defense weapon and with 12 gauge ammo still readily available, I want to improve on my abilities to use it as a defensive weapon as well.

Agreed on the part about likely not needing to do quads or doubles in an emergency situation, but long term I'd like to get into 3 gun, so if its futureproof for that hobby, its that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
    Looking for a 18-20" barreled semi auto tactical/home defense shotgun.. after being in a class and running a few different shotguns for different purposes, I realized/learned a few things.

1. mag-fed shotguns suck.
    2. I dont like the behind-the-triggerguard safety of my remington 1100 trap..
    3. I will end up putting a side-saddle (velcro style) and flashlight on it.

Biggest concerns are with feeding/functioning of all readily available ammo, and what I've heard about a few of these having issues shooting slugs..

Any thoughts from those with experience in these platforms?
    For what it's worth, I've owned both the Benelli M2 Tactical and the Beretta 1301 Comp. Both functioned without a problem even with the light clay shooting loads I ran through them. The Benelli cost me a few hundred more and lacked the oversized bolt release and extended charging handle I wanted, I also had to spend $60-70 for the Taran Tactical aftermarket lifter to fix the awful U shaped notch on the OEM part, the Beretta has this out of the box and I paid for it new what I got the M2 Tactical for used.

I sold the M2 some time ago, I still own the 1301. IMO (prices could have changed, this was almost a year ago) the Beretta is just as quality of a machine and will cost less. I can't comment on the Remington but not sure I would trust anything new Remington has been putting out recently.
    MGO Member
    Ragnarok Arms, LLC in Saline, MI- Type 1 FFL
    www.ragnarokarms.com

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    For what it's worth, I've owned both the Benelli M2 Tactical and the Beretta 1301 Comp. Both functioned without a problem even with the light clay shooting loads I ran through them. The Benelli cost me a few hundred more and lacked the oversized bolt release and extended charging handle I wanted, I also had to spend $60-70 for the Taran Tactical aftermarket lifter to fix the awful U shaped notch on the OEM part, the Beretta has this out of the box and I paid for it new what I got the M2 Tactical for used.

I sold the M2 some time ago, I still own the 1301. IMO (prices could have changed, this was almost a year ago) the Beretta is just as quality of a machine and will cost less. I can't comment on the Remington but not sure I would trust anything new Remington has been putting out recently.
    Im with you on that, my confidence in buying a versamax is quite low, since it would likely be a freedom group product.

It also doesnt help that the beretta 1301 is significantly cheaper since it hasnt been hit with the john wick hollywood tax yet.

The only part I've heard that makes me second guess the 1301 more is that beretta discontinues parts more often and that makes it even harder (and more expensive) to get them afterwards.

However, I believe the 1301 comp is a lot closer in price to what the m2 would be, over the lower 1301.