Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Sometimes you get an idea out of the blues...

So this evening I was cleaning both 1911s in 45 ACP. The Sig full size 5" and the colt officer 3.5" and was wondering whether I should add a commander size or not. Then I had an idea that I wanted to try.

I tried the colt officer slide on the Sig full size frame and voila:

The balance of the new combination was amazing. Most of it from the shorter slide.. Again one would argue that this is a solution for a non existing problem, and that it is definitely not a solution for a carry concept with the longer grip.. Besides all the good practical points, the gun looked really cool, and it balanced well in my hand, maybe becasue of the curved beaver tail of the Sig as compared to the duck tail shape grip safety on the colt. Anyways, the gun dry fired OK and passed the pencil test indicating the firing pin was functional and that the SIG frame works flawlesly freeing the firing pin block in the colt slide.. I will test this combo on the range over the weekend.

In the mean time I ordered a wilson beaver tail grip safety for the colt and a set of rose wood grips.

Now the quesion, shall I go for a commander 1911, or built a full size frame to dedicate to the short colt slide... hmmm... definitely I got the 1911 bug.. Well better than the COVID bug at least.

I am a Forum User
    .." shall I go for a commander 1911, or built a full size frame to dedicate to the short colt slide.."
    doesn't matter..though you may notice that using the shorter Officer slide on a full sized frame, the end of the frame extends past/ beyond the side cut of the slide.
    May not affect operation, but looks strange..if appearance is a concern.
    Most noticeable on the assembled Officer model, how the downward curve on the side of the slide, aligns with the end of the frame.

Though I've owned a variety of 1911's in all 3 sizes, the Commander Sized is my favorite.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    .." shall I go for a commander 1911, or built a full size frame to dedicate to the short colt slide.."
    doesn't matter..though you may notice that using the shorter Officer slide on a full sized frame, the end of the frame extends past/ beyond the side cut of the slide.
    May not affect operation, but looks strange..if appearance is a concern.
    Most noticeable on the assembled Officer model, how the downward curve on the side of the slide, aligns with the end of the frame.

Though I've owned a variety of 1911's in all 3 sizes, the Commander Sized is my favorite.
    Joe, in person it didn't look that bad. it looked as if the gun has a full dust cover. However, after some thoughts later in the evening, I decided to keep the colt officer as is and just upgrade the duck tail grip safety with a curved beaver tail safety for a better purchase on the grip. And i will start saving for a commander size 1911.. It would be nice to have all the 3 sizes in 45 ACP.

I am a Forum User
    After you get all 3 sizes in .45ACP, you can move on to getting them in 9mm as well
    Commanders in 9mm are really nice, IMO

maybe I should add that I did the same as you did in the above post, switching "uppers" from one 1911 to another, using different 1911's.
    Though they may look like they'll function..trying this may find it doesn't work as planned.
    maybe because of the barrel / link / slide stop interaction
    Last edited by joepistol; 10-20-2020 at 09:05 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Here is an update.. Got wooden grips and a nice curved beaver tail grip safety by Wilson Combat.. It is mazing what an effect a few accessories have on a gun.. It looks nice and I can ride that grip high with the new beaver tail..

Before

After

I am a Forum User
    Nice grips . Oh and treat yourself to another pistol . you know it would be fun .

Jack

Yeah, I did that once with a couple of Glocks, didn’t work out so well!!! Didn’t think I’d ever get that slide off that frame
    Active airport shooter

MGO Member
    Looking good Brother.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    Looking good Brother.
    Thanks brother.. Now I got the commander bug.. I can blame joepistol for that inception.

I am a Forum User
    A 1911 in 38 super has always intrigued me. Nice looking pistolas sir!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast