Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Do you train for high stress shooting situations. If so, how? Video link

First, what is a stressful situation? This can cover a really big field.

I think of Combat then self defense. These may be the pinnacle of stressful.
    What about hunting; the whole Buck Fever thing? Stress right?

I think competition can allow stress to sneak in and foul a shot.

Even shooting a 5 shot group can be stressful.
    You know, the 1st 4 rounds are sitting at a negative moa group size and the last round opens it up to 10 moa. Stress man!

Do you train for this? Do you think it's necessary or helpful?
    What do you do or techniques do you employ?

I think of the usual suspects. Repetition, muscle memory.
    Being Military I love "Train like ya fight, fight like ya train"

Today I filmed an exercise that was conjured to hit all the senses that are involved in a shot and to document the results. Within the ability that I have here at the farm.

In the Military they used simulators, deprivation, and schools like SERE even bumped that up a notch.
    Do we need that for deer hunting? I say yes even more emphatically after today's little run i did.
    The best way to explain how i think of it would be compared to sand.
    One grain alone is nothing but stack trillions and you make a temple.

Today I created a Mockup Hostage Situation.
    Starting from building the round, making the simulators, plotting the ballistis, inducing stress by exercise, to setting up and making the shot.

I found the results pretty shocking. Watching the video I noticed things that I did instinctively, scope tuning, breathing control even when winded, tuning out distractions and my process of placing the reticle on the Tango.
    Believing in the calculations was also interesting. You gotta trust in it or that itself will ruin a shot.

I employ these techniques each time I go out but never really link them into a continuous string.

Lastly I ask; what do you think to be a more "True" Marksman? One who is happy with a ragged hole 5 shot group 6" away from P.O.A or one who hits the P.O.A with one shot.

Give it a little though or maybe better, what would you prefer? Yes I know, BOTH!

Just some thoughts there but that's kinda what my video was designed to do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljGA7Pj2rH0

Hope ya'll liked!!

Vic

I'm on my second marriage... And I think there is an election in a couple weeks.

MGO Member
    3 cans of Monster and I tell my wife I bought a new gun on the way out the door to the range, I'm pretty amped up by the time I get there.

I am a Forum User
    So ya'll say sayn I'm doing it wrong!

Those were great... priceless.

I'm 72 years old with a bad heart, COPD, and crappy knees. There is no way I can run to get stressed. Just thinking about running is too stressful! LOL. And my shooting has morphed from long(ish) range to up close self defense because at my age that is the kind of scenario most likely to encounter.

I like to put one target covering another to varying degrees leaving smaller and smaller exposure of the "bad guy" for hostage scenarios. It gets interesting when only the body of the bad guy from one eye on down is exposed. Or just the head with one eye exposed.

But my practice is with pistols both sidearm and BUG (sometimes with 2 BUGs) drawn from open carry and concealed carry using both primary and weak hands moving off the "X" in different directions from 3' to 30' backing up/sideways and from 30' to 3' charging in from different directions. Direction makes a difference in the 3D real world because from one direction the bad guy is more exposed than the other direction where the hostage's head/body is sticking out in the way.

Not knocking your long range shooting. Hell, I'm green eyed envious! I've just gone in a different direction. But your videos are tempting me to dig the Anshutz out from way back in the safe and light a few matches. But this is indoor range weather and the longest shot I'd have would be just 25yds.

Anyway.... great shooting! Love the videos too.
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

I am a Forum User
    Bikenut,
    Great examples that are tailored to what you feel are important towards your end of day goals.
    At one point you mentioned 3D. You're mentioning in terms of exposure in your example. A target standing sideways to you generally has less surface area than full frontal right. Your movement changes the target surface area.
    Your drill is definitely on point.

Try taking one of those paper silhouette targets and rather than having it face you directly turn it significantly to left or right. Turn it a lot so a 12" wide tgt only appears to be 3" wide. Put a dot on it as an aiming point. Now shoot that point.

This brings true depth to the shot. Your eyes see the aiming point but it's hard for the brain to understand the depth. 3D without movement.

Bring the Anshutz Otta retirement in spring. It will be anxious to stretch its legs then.

Lastly, as finely tuned Pistolaros we have NO weak hand. It's either Primary or Alternate but they're both bringing the same game!
    Running if for those who cannot shoot.

Vic

Thanks. Will try turning the target. Should be interesting.
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

MGO Member
    IDPA practice at Linden Sportsmans Club is a good way to practice with stress. Amazing what happens when that buzzer goes off.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jolari View Post
    IDPA practice at Linden Sportsmans Club is a good way to practice with stress. Amazing what happens when that buzzer goes off.
    it's my 10th year shooting IDPA and I still get that tunnel vision from time to time when the buzzer goes off..

MGO Member
    Every day at work was training on how to deal with stressful situations. I'm retired now so no more training for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast