Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

MICHIGAN GUN OWNERS (MGO) FILES SUIT AGAINST MICHIGAN SECRETARY OF STATE JOCELYN BENSON FOR HER ILLEGAL AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL DIRECTIVE

MICHIGAN GUN OWNERS (MGO) FILES SUIT AGAINST MICHIGAN SECRETARY OF STATE JOCELYN BENSON FOR HER ILLEGAL AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL DIRECTIVE PROHIBITING OPEN CARRY OF FIREARMS AT POLLING PLACES

Michigan Gun Owners (MGO), a 501(c)(3) Michigan non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the rights of Michigan citizens, as enumerated in the Second Amendment and Article 1, Section 6 of the Michigan Constitution, along with Michigan Open Carry (MOC) and Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO) filed suit against Jocelyn Benson, Michigan Secretary of State today for issuing an illegal and unconstitutional directive in an attempt to suppress the constitutionally protected rights of certain voters.

On October 16, 2020, Jocelyn Benson issued a directive ordering all local election officials to post signage at the entrance of the building where the polling place is located, as well as at entry of the room of the polling place. This signage states that the open carrying of a firearm is prohibited in a polling place.

There is no legal basis upon which Secretary of State Benson can derive authority to create this prohibition, therefore, her edict is “Ultra Vires”. The open carry of firearms is generally legal in Michigan and there are no laws relating to prohibition of openly carried firearms within polling places. MGO, et al. is seeking immediate injunctive relief from the Michigan Court of Claims against Benson’s edict since election day is less than 2 weeks from today’s filing.

Further, the Michigan Election Law, Act 115 of 1964, states in part:
    A person who violates 1 or more of the following subdivisions is guilty of a felony:
    (a) A person shall not attempt, by means of bribery, menace, or other corrupt means or device, either directly or indirectly, to influence an elector in giving his or her vote, or to deter the elector from, or interrupt the elector in giving his or her vote at any election held in this state.

Secretary of State Benson’s directive directly deters certain voters from giving their vote by attempting to illegally strip these voters of their constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms.

MGO’s reason for filing suit along with MOC and MCRGO is simple. MGO is staunchly DEFENDING the rights of Michigan citizens to vote while openly carry their firearms, if they so choose.

More information about Michigan Gun Owners can be found at www.migunowners.org.

Donations for Michigan Gun Owners Legal Fund can be made at https://home.migunowners.org/donate/
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Excellent.

MGO Board of Directors

Last edited by G22; 10-23-2020 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added files per BOD request
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Thank You

Links added to Tom's post above ^
    The Constitution is NOT dead. It's just being held captive.