Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    People keep saying that Open Carry is not permitted and/or there is no law permitting it. The following shows that it is permitted under the MCL 28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol:

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMS (EXCERPT) Act 372 of 1927
    28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; transfer of ownership to heir or devisee; nonresident; active duty status; forging application as felony; implementation during business hours.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this act, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.
    (3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department, in discharging the duty to issue licenses shall with due speed and diligence issue licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols to qualified applicants unless he or she has probable cause to believe that the applicant would be a threat to himself or herself or to other individuals, or would commit an offense with the pistol that would violate a law of this or another state or of the United States. An applicant is qualified if all of the following circumstances exist:
    ...LONG LIST OF DISQUALIFICATIONS...
    (6) ... The licensee may carry, use, possess, and transport the pistol for 30 days beginning on the date of purchase or acquisition only while he or she is in possession of his or her copy of the license. However, the person is not required to have the license in his or her possession while carrying, using, possessing, or transporting the pistol after this period.
    http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-422

I am a Forum User
    Donation made. Keep up the good fight!

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    People keep saying that Open Carry is not permitted and/or there is no law permitting it. The following shows that it is permitted under the MCL 28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol:
    That was a weak argument, at best, by the defendants. Anybody with a P number knows that what isn't prohibited is by default, permitted.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    That was a weak argument, at best, by the defendants. Anybody with a P number knows that what isn't prohibited is by default, permitted.
    I agree, but I wish ALL SIDES would understand what the law says here.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Awesome! I was planning on OCing either way, but my wife wasn't too thrilled with that. Hopefully this will put her at ease!
    Mine was not worried at all... unless she didn't show it!
    Carry On!
    MI_XD
    SW Michigan
    ----Hey Joe and A Camal----Oh, and now Stretchy Gretchey
    ---- What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" do you not Understand?"
    -----

MGO Board of Directors

Today, we (MGO, et al.) filed our written response to the defendant's arguments. Essentially, the defendants cited case law that was inapplicable to this matter and argued that SoS Benson had the authority to issue "instructions", not just promulgate rules when it comes to election matters. However, the defendants are trying to assert that the SoS is free to make up her own rules via "instructions" and essentially sidestep the process outlined for creating actual rules, as well as the process to create law in the State of Michigan. This simply isn't true.

The oral arguments just finished up minutes ago. Based upon Judge Christopher Murray's questions and statements, we are VERY confident that our request for immediate injunctive relief will be granted today. Judge Murray promised a ruling by 5pm today.

We are looking forward to a victory!
    WE WON!

…more details to follow!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    WE WON!

…more details to follow!
    This is fantastic!

WE WON!

…more details to follow!
    CARRY ON!
    MI_XD
    SW Michigan
    ----Hey Joe and A Camal----Oh, and now Stretchy Gretchey
    ---- What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" do you not Understand?"
    -----

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

Awesome !

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast