Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Dryfiring in Rimfire

I have been using centerfire designs for months. But I don’t have any idea about rimfires Recently I came to know that when we do dry fire in a rimfire rifles it ill affect the gun’s performance because of its brittle firing pins. If we do so how many rounds of dryfire will it take to affect the gun. Or is there any Gun Customization tricks to make it more reliable

I am a Forum User
    Hi GunC and welcome to the forum.

Impossible to answer your question, since every firearm is different.

Some semi automatic rimfires can be safely dry fired by sliding a foam earplug between the firing pin and the hammer, some can be safely dryfired by inserting a chamber dry fire plug that cushions the firing pin strike (these usually do not last very long), others have success trimming down a empty chamber indicator so that the bolt does not completely close but the trigger mechanism works but the firing pin does not impact the breach. Others have used dry wall anchors as dry fire plugs.

Furthermore, a couple of manufacturers state in their owners manual that their rimfire can be safely dry fired.

Personally I use a plug of some sort, and I really do not worry too much about it if I do a dry fire. The barrel breach can easily be repaired and firing pins are not that expensive.

Regards,
    Crankster

I am a Forum User
    My opinion is that rimfire should not be dry fired not so much because of possible damage to the pin but due to potential damage to the Chamber itself.
    Quality of Chamber materials will affect results.

The Ignition pin must not be allowed to strike Chamber wall so the use of a device like a Snap Cap should be used.
    If you do a search a lot of people use the plastic inserts used as drywall anchors to overcome potential damage from occurring.
    Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

Vic

Dry firing damages the edge of the chamber by peeling it over time. The rim of a rimfire is the primer and gets crushed between the striker and the edge of the chamber during firing. Some makers leave a slight gap between the chamber and striker travel that should allow the gun to be dry fired without harm but personally I prefer to use snap caps to be sure..
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Newer guns not so much of a problem but as previously stated depends entirely on the firearm design. Save the snap caps and use a piece of spent brass.

MGO Member
    Ruger marks 1,2 & 3 have to be dry fired to disassemble to clean.

I am a Forum User
    Personally I don't usually dry fire a .22 rimfire but when I have to do it occasionally I just use old fired .22 fired brass.

I have a number of .22 guns and some allow the firing pin to travel far enough to contact the chamber and others stop the firing pin just short of chamber contract.

First thing I do with a new .22 gun is to verify if it allows firing pin to chamber contact.

MGO Member
    I use the yellow plastic wall anchors if I dry fire my 22s.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    Really? Huh.
    Now I need to go rummage around the garage and see if I have any small wall anchors....
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    Me too. Just bought a box of 150 at home depot for $5 and change. They work great and extract just fine. They will also feed through a stacked mag most of the time. They don't feed very well in tube mags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast