Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ar Pistol

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    Never touched drugs in my life brother. The whole RI060 thing grinds my ass though. When the creator of the form tells you to use it in a manner, that we all agree it wasn’t made for(even the MSP) but everyone is afraid to use it because they think they will be instant felons, but no one ever has, It don’t make sense. I have called the MSP Records Div numerous times on this, and suggest anyone interested in finding out how laid back they are on that form, it is almost laughable!
    I'm sure that most everyone agrees that the RI-060 process is a mess. However, posting completely erroneous information and giving a site visitor (and future site visitors) completely bogus and inaccurate information isn't right.

Writing your info on a piece of paper was a half ass joke, to avoid this whole topic
    May I suggest that, next time, don't post if you want to avoid the topic. Bad information is far worse than no information.

They just want the info on the gun.
    The law allows them to collect pistol sales transaction information. Building a firearm for yourself out of parts that you already own is not a "sale", so let's not encourage people to do things they shouldn't and/or are not legally required to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I'm sure that most everyone agrees that the RI-060 process is a mess. However, posting completely erroneous information and giving a site visitor (and future site visitors) completely bogus and inaccurate information isn't right.

May I suggest that, next time, don't post if you want to avoid the topic. Bad information is far worse than no information.

The law allows them to collect pistol sales transaction information. Building a firearm for yourself out of parts that you already own is not a "sale", so let's not encourage people to do things they shouldn't and/or are not legally required to do.
    So your saying if I build a SBR under 26”, no registration is required as a pistol, but if I buy the same gun I am required to register? If so, I totally misunderstood the law, did it for nothing!
    Active airport shooter

MGO Member
    If you bought it as separate parts and not an assembled pistol, it is not a pistol and the parts can be sold with no documentation.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    If you bought it as separate parts and not an assembled pistol, it is not a pistol and the parts can be sold with no documentation.
    In my case I form 1’d a Mini 14 that ended up less then 26”
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Once I filled out a RI-060 for a homebrew AR pistol, turned it into Dearborn and had them calling me saying I cannot be the buyer and seller. The lady on the phone was very rude and kept referring to someone there that "knows the laws". I honestly don't know what happened I just quit receiving calls. After that experience New Hampshire got my money.

Joe

I am a Forum User
    Once I filled out a RI-060 for a homebrew AR pistol, turned it into Dearborn and had them calling me saying I cannot be the buyer and seller. The lady on the phone was very rude and kept referring to someone there that "knows the laws". I honestly don't know what happened I just quit receiving calls. After that experience New Hampshire got my money.

Joe

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsten View Post
    It isn’t a pistol yet. It is just parts - the receiver is an other and resells like a long gun would and the upper is just parts.

Even if it was a pistol, you wouldn’t “register” it. There is no method to do that when you assemble it yourself. Search prior threads. This comes up every other day here.
    correct
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelk View Post
    If selling to a MI resident you can just sell the parts without any paperwork as it was never assembled as a firearm.
    If selling to a non MI resident then the lower must go through an FFL in the buyers home state. There is no FFL requirement for the upper.
    correct
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    So your saying if I build a SBR under 26”, no registration is required as a pistol, but if I buy the same gun I am required to register? If so, I totally misunderstood the law, did it for nothing!
    Huh?

I never said anything about "building a SBR", so I don't know where that came from.

The OP asked about an an "ar lower" (presumably a complete lower with either a brace, blade or simply no stock on it) and an upper that were purchased NOT as a complete pistol, but as two separate items.

You immediately told him he was required by law to register it, and even suggested that he "write all the gun info that goes on an RI-060 on a piece of paper and give that to (his) local police", which is completely wrong on many fronts.

I totally misread the first post! I don't assemble ARs, don't know the laws on doing that. I thought the OP wanted to sell an AR pistol that wasn't registered. I explained the piece of paper bit... So please don’t listen to my dumb ass, forget I posted....
    Last edited by JDG; 11-06-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    Active airport shooter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast