Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Looking for gunsmith to thread a barrel

Not really DIY, but I wasn't sure where to post it.

I'm looking to get the barrels of one or two rifles that I have threaded. They are both 22LR, one I would like to keep the front sight, and have it relocated, the other it can be removed. I looked into Adco, they want $140 per barrel to thread them, which is more than the rifles cost. I was hoping to find something a little cheaper.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop in SE Michigan that they were happy with, and or an estimated cost, or does $140 sound reasonable?

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    IMHO for quality $140 sounds about right to me. You may be able to find someone for cheaper but do you want to risk a baffle strike on their work being good enough at a cheaper cost? Barrel threading has no bearing on original firearm cost or value just FYI, so try to not make that a determining factor in your decision.
    Last edited by balrog006; 11-04-2020 at 09:16 PM.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

call magnaport, or doug jones.

I agree its moot point on the original cost or used cost of the rifle, if its a new black friday special $120 marlin or a $3,000 winchester 70 the time is the same, machine wear the same, time talking to you, calling you, its all the same. Clean up, every thing is the same.

So it just is what it is.

MGO Member
    Buy rifle allready to go seams lots of makers offer them

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr44 View Post
    Buy rifle allready to go seams lots of makers offer them
    That’s even less fiscally thoughtful than what the OP is trying to avoid. Plus I get the feeling that these rifles have some value to the OP aside from their $ value. That and the OP already has the rifles-he is not going out looking for non threaded ones and then shipping to get them threaded.
    Last edited by balrog006; 11-05-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Marketplace Moderator
    I would suggest William's Gun Sight or Dick Williams. Call and see. Doug Jones does not thread barrels. Good Shooting, MOOSE

Call Ken I talked to him in the past about aks and fall builds.

http://www.globalmilitarygunsmithing.com/id3.html

He threads barrels, he does not seem out 22lr but threading a barrel is standard so I think he might be one of the value leaders around here.

I am a Forum User
    I used magnaport thread a barrel and install a surefire muzzle break. They do good work.

I am a Forum User
    If you want it setup and the bore indicated and then turned and threaded then 2 hours of labor start to finish is a good estimate - pretty much what it takes me to do one.

I am a Forum User
    I have Williams thread a Ruger M77 in 357 once I think it was about 135$ it was 2 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast