Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Spotting Scope RFI

Looking for information on spotting scopes for range use not hunting. Need guidance on scope to be used on 200-300 yds range. Require being able to see ....223 caliber holes at 200 yds. , on a good day. Sort of want a setup for high power shooting. Any help appreciated. Not willing to spend over $2500.00.

I use a my older Nikon P900 camera on a small tripod. It has a swing/tilt viewfinder screen and 83X optical (2,000mm) zoom. Here is a comparison of the P900 to a $4,000 Swarovski spotting scope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC0O4vxOmtM There are newer better models out now than my old P900 (P950 and P1000). All less than $1k.

- Joe

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Hey Semi:

I just purchased a Athlon 20x60x86 cronus spotter from cameralandny:

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=1628565

I shoot high power and have had the pleasure to peer through all the major spotters, Kowa, swarovski, zeiss, leica, etc. I would love to own one of them but I am really impressed with the Athlon. Sign up to cameraland and they run sales. Personally, I have looked through spotters with excellent reputations and been surprised at the lack of brightness in the image. I have also looked through high dollar spotters looking for a 22 bullet hole when I can see it in my leupold 36 power rifle scope but not in the spotter. Make sure you look through one before you purchase.

Personally, I have had mine set up next to the high dollar ones and if I told you what to look for, color fringing around the edges, image drift on a fluttering birds wing, you might be able to see the difference. What happened to me is that I looked through a fellow competitors athlon and said to my self "I gotta get me one of these!". Every time I take it out I loose my breath when I look through it. It is very good. While I will admit, the top dollar kowa or leica is breathtaking, I really do not want one any more now.

If you are ever in the Ann Arbor area track me down and we could meet up and you could take a looksee through mine. Also, be careful purchasing used top dollar spotters that are older models. They have come a long way with the lens coatings in the last dozen years and there is no comparison. Also be really careful and use a optical specific cleaning method for the lenses. The only thing that I do not like about the athlon is that the objective lens cover is a snap on cover that is self removing as I take the scope out of the protective case.

Regards,
    Crankster

MGO Member
    joelansing- Thank You for your reply. I guess I'm a bit of a Luddite and never would have thought of a camera setup. You tube video was impressive. I will do further research

Ol' Joe- Thank You for the link to research spotting scopes. I will look deeper in it for information to guide me.

crankythunder- Thanks for your post. I will check out the Athlon scopes, appreciate all the info in your response, and your willingness to help. All three of you pointed me in a great start to researching what I need\want.

I am a Forum User
    The Kowa 82SV is bread and butter for high power competitors. I have a Kowa Prominar 883. It is very nice and really overkill for just seeing holes. Separating mirage layers at 600 and beyond is where it shines.

MGO Member
    Rootsy,

Thank You for your response. Been looking at Athelon and Kowa scopes on line. Now looking for them in stores to have a look see thru them to see if it's for me. On my way to longer range shooting, just going slow about it.