Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Rehashing a common topic; AR-15 A2 Sight Removal

I'm sure this is a common topic, but a search indicates it has been awhile since we had a lively discussion about AR Platform sight block removal.

I am taking the front A sight off of a Colt M4 LE6920, to replace it with a low profile block and a free float handguard.

I took the gas tube roll pin out - no issues.
    I measured both sides of the pins to make sure I was driving them out small side=>Big side (which is left=>right when in normal aim stance)
    I ground a little of the hump off of each small side to make a flat surface for the punch.

I took the front sight pin out, no issues after a couple of whacks.

The back one is being a real problem.
    I am using a 3/32" center punch tool, and a brass hammer.
    I just cant get that damn back pin out.

Any suggestions?

Marketplace Moderator
    Bigger hammer. You have to whack the taper pins pretty good. They make a bench block that cradles the sight post for sight removal. Less than $40 and makes the job a lot easier. Good Luck, MOOSE

I am a Forum User
    *** Update***

I was making ZERO progress, and spent a several dollars on a few roll pin punches that I was bending to ****.
    I was using 3/32 Hardened Roll pins, and a Heavy Copper (2lb) hammer for whacking.

I decide to change course.
    I got out the trusty Dremel, and cut a slot in the LARGE end of the tapered roll pin, the end that would come out FIRST. My thinking was that I would cut down the surface area or the stuck pin, and that would make the hammer "persuasion" more effective.

Once I cut about 3/8", I gave it a good whack and, as expected, that did the trick.

You could have just cut the top of the sight off above the gas tube. just saying.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

I am a Forum User
    Exactly then you have a pinned sight