Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Savage Haymaker 450 Bushmaster - Scope Power

I recently won a Savage Haymaker 450 bushmaster and am trying to decide on which power scope to go with. I hunt all over Michigan, but most of it is below Bay City. I’m just wondering if a 3x9 is too little paper or not. What are your thoughts?

Hunted for most of my life with a straight 4x and never had a thought as to needing more magnification. The last 3 years I’ve been carrying a Ruger Ranch rifle chambered in 450 and wearing a Leupold 3x9 that saw 9x while doing the original sight in and has stayed on 4x since. Now if you plan on shooting paper at outrageous ranges from a solid rest you can’t get enough X’s. JMO...
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Hunted for most of my life with a straight 4x and never had a thought as to needing more magnification. The last 3 years I’ve been carrying a Ruger Ranch rifle chambered in 450 and wearing a Leupold 3x9 that saw 9x while doing the original sight in and has stayed on 4x since. Now if you plan on shooting paper at outrageous ranges from a solid rest you can’t get enough X’s. JMO...
    Thank you for your post. I was thinking of a Sig Sauer HVP Whiskey 3 in 4-12x40, thoughts?

I can't post links yet! Forum User

scope

Quote Originally Posted by Bradw3451 View Post
    I recently won a Savage Haymaker 450 bushmaster and am trying to decide on which power scope to go with. I hunt all over Michigan, but most of it is below Bay City. I’m just wondering if a 3x9 is too little paper or not. What are your thoughts?
    I prefer a 2-7 in michigan due to close running shots i have numerous burris fullfield ii scopes I have a burris fullfield ii bdc works great 100yrd next crosshair 175yrds next 250yrds best scope for price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradw3451 View Post
    are you hunting from a tree line into open fields, or hunting in the woods ?

If you are in the woods 3x9 is all you need.

If you hunt a old farm or something like that, maybe go higher but its only a 200 yard round, its not a 308 or 30-06.